New CPU computer keeps restarting

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
So I swapped my G3258 to a i5 4590 and now it endlessly restarts by itself, it's like this, push power button , maybe 2 seconds it shuts of and a second later it turns back and and it does that non stop, so I put my G3258 back in and its still doing the same thing. MOBO is an asrock H97M Anniversary

Solution
Well, make sure that you are unplugging the machine from the wall when you are doing your work in there. Reinstall your RAM the same way it was originally. Make sure the g3258 is installed properly with the heatsink installed properly. Then go ahead and clear CMOS (Reset the BIOS). Most motherboards either have a jumper or a button, or you can just remove the coin-cell battery for 30 seconds and then put it back in. Look at your mobo manual for instructions for clearing the CMOS if you aren't already familiar. See if that works...

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Yes I even checked it, I forgot.to add that I never got a video signal. I literally just did that but with the g3258 back.in I removed one of the RAM dimms and.it stopped restarting but still no video, and I don't think it was booting because the hArd drive light never flashed

larkspur

Distinguished
Well, make sure that you are unplugging the machine from the wall when you are doing your work in there. Reinstall your RAM the same way it was originally. Make sure the g3258 is installed properly with the heatsink installed properly. Then go ahead and clear CMOS (Reset the BIOS). Most motherboards either have a jumper or a button, or you can just remove the coin-cell battery for 30 seconds and then put it back in. Look at your mobo manual for instructions for clearing the CMOS if you aren't already familiar. See if that works...

Solution

larkspur

Distinguished
Well, if I were you I would update the motherboard's BIOS to the newest available BIOS just to be sure. You would obviously download it from your motherboard's support page. Make sure you follow ASRock's directions for the BIOS update. After the BIOS update then try again with installing the i5.