New CPU cooler, same core temps?

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hi all,

I just installed a new CPU cooler, and speedfan is recording the same core temps, and somewhat higher temps from other readings.

First off, i'm not sure exactly what the first 4 temps are, so i'll post what they say here and hopefully somebody can help me out on that part.

Temp 1: 36C
Temp 2: 26C
Temp 3: -2C (???)
Temp 4: OC (umm)

Core 0: 41C
Core 1: 40C

Anyways, the processor I am using is an intel core2 duo E7400 running at stock clock speeds. I just recently got a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler for my birthday, and installed it ASAP. The stock cooler temps used to look about the same, but temp 1 used to be running about 4C cooler. Anyways, the thermal paste I used was MX-2, made sure it was the perfect ammount and installed the cooler. Started her up and I'm sitting at about the same temps. Is 41/40C as cool as it will get? (ambient air temp is about 72degrees F) Or did i possibly mess something up? I'm using SpeedFan as my temprature reader.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Thats very cool. I don't see an issue. Those temps are great for any cooler.

also, let the thermal paste cure for about 50 hours and check again. you temps will have dropped a few more degrees.

also, try using Coretemp instead of speedfan. It tends to be a bit more accurate.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
And in response to your Temp 3 and Temp 4 readings, they're for cores 2 and 3 of your CPU, and since you've got a Core 2 Duo, it's only got Core 0 and Core 1 :)

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Alright thanks guys, i'll try out coretemp. The only thing I was really wondering was why I saw no change in temps.

The temps are fine, i was just expecting some kind of change.

I have yet to test the computer under load or prime95 though. With the stock cooler playing CoD5 the core temps would reach somewhere around 46C, which is very good.

Thanks for the responses guys ;)

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
The temps are fine. Where you really see the difference in temperatures between a good cooler and a poor one is under high load on a overclocked quad. A lower power cpu like an e7400 at stock will not see much temperature difference, especially at idle.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Realtemp isnt bad either.... mind you if you was to have coretemp and realtemp running at the same time you will see a difference, because they read the sensor information differently.

Well a couple things. First off you didn't mention whether or not you cleaned the old TIM or not. If you didn't then you need to.

Next off, you will only see a small change in your idle temperature (unless you have a serious overclock), it'll make a much bigger difference on your load temperatures.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Update: Just installed and played Empire: total war, then played CoD5 and Crysis, core temps never went up once, and temp 1 and 2 were about 10C cooler, so idle temps had no change but under load this thing keeps it a lot cooler.