New CPU Cooling Fan no Monitor signal??

drobi159

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
No output to Monitor After CPU Fan upgrade

Hi guys an issue i upgraded today my CPU from stock to Thermaltake fan.

The pc is a self build.

Runs a AMD fx8350
Mobo is asrock 970ex3
2 × 4gb corsair Ram
Gtx660 inno3d i think

Casecom cheap case with inbuilt PSU 500W

I know the psu sounds dodgy so bare with me.

Everything was working fine this morning. The stock CPU Cooler sounds like a jet engine so i went and baught a new one i did not take out the RAM or GPU nore the CPU all i did was take off stock cooler put the thermal gel on mind you probably to much of it and attach the new cooler.

Now everything seems to run fine when turning on. All fans run, LEDs and so on. There is no beep code either it just will not send a signal to my monitor which is 3 weeks old.

I have done the following.

Trying one RAM in each slot.
Re build the computer excluding cpu
Reset and jump CMOS
New monitor cords.

Solution
What strikes me as od is all you did was replace the fan and then this problem existed. Starting to wonder if that fan was the straw that broke the camels back being how you have a low quality PSU. I would invest in a better PSU to be honest. Make sure everything is seated correctly the only other thing i can think about is your video card went bad. or possibly there is a short somewhere. But from what i am gathering the computer is posting you are just not getting a signal. Try the card in different slot see if that works. Also see if you can find a 8pin connector or a a 6+2 sometimes you can connect them together.

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

You never know.

always check the simplest solutions first. You are sure the monitor is working 100% correct?

and the cable is plugged in all the way to the back of the monitor, also the settings in the monitor is set to the correct port if you have more than one?

drobi159

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Yes i have made sure. I also plugged it into my hd tv which i have done a few times for movies and no signal. So frustrating thinking its my mobo or cpu but i built 5 weeks ago

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
And you have the PSU connected to the CPU correct? normally an 8pin connector just above the cpu socket?

and when you replaced fan you cleaned off the old thermal paste from the CPU? using rubbing alcohol and maybe a small Q-tip?

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Maybe i am looking at the wrong motherboard.

mobo_zpsc9071570.png
[/URL][/img]

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
What strikes me as od is all you did was replace the fan and then this problem existed. Starting to wonder if that fan was the straw that broke the camels back being how you have a low quality PSU. I would invest in a better PSU to be honest. Make sure everything is seated correctly the only other thing i can think about is your video card went bad. or possibly there is a short somewhere. But from what i am gathering the computer is posting you are just not getting a signal. Try the card in different slot see if that works. Also see if you can find a 8pin connector or a a 6+2 sometimes you can connect them together.

Solution

drobi159

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Yeh thanka for your help i have tried the other pci e slot nothing still. I might invest in a new psu tomorrow and come back to you, thanks for your help cheers