New CPU Dimension 4300

1. Will this work? Intel® Pentium® 4 2.6Ghz / 512K Cache / 400MHz FSB /
Socket 478 / Processor ,

2. and is this a good price $139.00
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=32634&Sku=CP2-P4-2600ANC&CatId=260

3. And is the upgrade going to make a noticeable difference?

I am interested in finally trying some games, and the "OLD" P4 1.6 machine
was not very efficient according to the game review.

and what other crucial information do I need to know about cooling fans or
power supply if any?

I got the upgrade information at http://www.powerleap.com

I have put in ram, dvd drive, hard drives, pci cards, but this may be more
than I care to get into.

current system
XPhome
P4 1.6ghz
512 mb ram

Thanks for any hand holding
Bob

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> 1. Will this work? Intel® Pentium® 4 2.6Ghz / 512K Cache / 400MHz FSB /
> Socket 478 / Processor ,

Yes.

> 2. and is this a good price $139.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=32634&Sku=CP2-P4-2600ANC&CatId=260

Go for it - these are rapidly disappearing from the marketplace.

> 3. And is the upgrade going to make a noticeable difference?

Yes, it should.

> I am interested in finally trying some games, and the "OLD" P4 1.6 machine
> was not very efficient according to the game review.
>

> and what other crucial information do I need to know about cooling fans or
> power supply if any?

Remove the old heatsink carefully - you will need to reuse it (aftermarket
heat sinks will not fit the Dell retention bracket).

Thanks for the quick response.

I have my plastic in hand as I am typing. LOL

Thank you for the information on the heatsink. Will this lift off or will I
need a tool to carefully pry it off, and will I need some thermal grease to
put it on to the new cpu?

Thanks again
Bob

In news:aihgc.14374$A_4.12869@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net,
Leanin' Cedar <Nospam@nospam.org> typed:
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> I have my plastic in hand as I am typing. LOL
>
> Thank you for the information on the heatsink. Will this lift off or
> will I need a tool to carefully pry it off, and will I need some
> thermal grease to put it on to the new cpu?
>
> Thanks again
> Bob

You will need to put some ArticSilver Heatsink compound or similar on after
cleaning off the old residue from the present heatsink. Use regular rubbing
alcohol or automotive brake cleaner or carb cleaner and use lint free paper
towels and you might have to use a plastic spoon to scrape the old heatsink
pad off. Be sure and not try and scrape it off with metal as you don't want
to scratch the surface. As far as removing it from the old CPU, you might
have to twist it gently to make it come loose if it is stuck pretty good
with the factory pad. Just be sure and put compound on your new CPU in a
very small thin coat (I use a razor blade and spread it on very
thin)...about a rice sized 'chunk' of compound should do...then spread it
around with the razor blade and scrape off the excess from the edges of the
new CPU...you want a *very* thin even coat. Don't wiggle the heatsink as you
apply it back on the new CPU...just sit it on and then apply the clamp.

....Allen

"Allen_L" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> In news:aihgc.14374$A_4.12869@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net,

> You will need to put some ArticSilver Heatsink compound or similar on
after
> cleaning off the old residue from the present heatsink. Use regular
rubbing
> alcohol or automotive brake cleaner or carb cleaner and use lint free
paper
> towels and you might have to use a plastic spoon to scrape the old
heatsink
> pad off. Be sure and not try and scrape it off with metal as you don't
want
> to scratch the surface. As far as removing it from the old CPU, you might
> have to twist it gently to make it come loose if it is stuck pretty good
> with the factory pad. Just be sure and put compound on your new CPU in a
> very small thin coat (I use a razor blade and spread it on very
> thin)...about a rice sized 'chunk' of compound should do...then spread it
> around with the razor blade and scrape off the excess from the edges of
the
> new CPU...you want a *very* thin even coat. Don't wiggle the heatsink as
you
> apply it back on the new CPU...just sit it on and then apply the clamp.
>
> ...Allen

Thanks again for the help. With this info and info I found on the Dell
Site, I am ready to give it a shot.

Bob

Not to rain on a really nice upgrade parade here, but just remember (for
gaming), that you'll still be dealing with PC133 system RAM as a bottleneck.

If your heatsink has the "foil" thermal pad on the bottom, just reuse it and
don't remove it (my opinion).

Stew

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, S.Lewis wrote:

> Not to rain on a really nice upgrade parade here, but just remember (for
> gaming), that you'll still be dealing with PC133 system RAM as a bottleneck.
>
> If your heatsink has the "foil" thermal pad on the bottom, just reuse it and
> don't remove it (my opinion).

Speaking of...[and if I had the $$]...it would be lovely to upgrade my
aging Dim 4100, PIII 866, 512megs of SDRAM. By upgrade I mean replace the
TNT2 M64 card with something like a Geforce in the 5000 series or ATI
Radeon in the 9000 series (for gaming purposes) and also the SB Live Value
with maybe something in the SB Audigy series. Trouble is, after that I'd
still have that PIII chip and SD RAM onboard, so I have a gut feeling
those would make it not really worth what I WISH I had to spend on such an
upgrade. Am I off the mark?? :)

Marilyn B.

If you stick to a mid-range card (9600Pro/XT, 5600/5700 series), the
investment will probably be worth the cost. It is decidedly not economical
to equip this system with a $300-400 video card, however.

> If you stick to a mid-range card (9600Pro/XT, 5600/5700 series), the
> investment will probably be worth the cost. It is decidedly not
economical
> to equip this system with a $300-400 video card, however.

<snip>

I agree. Additionally, I've used both the GeForce3 Ti200 64mb (retail) card
and the GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb card in my wife's Dim4100 (1GHz/512mb) at
different points.

The machine can still be used for some pretty demanding games, but the game
settings have to be adjusted accordingly. Your machine still likely exceeds
the minimum requirements of quite a few "good" games out there. Just
check'em before you download the demos or buy them.

Stew