Question New CPU Dying?

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
I bought an i7-9700k a few months ago, and I had some issues with it. Sometimes it would turn on (fans would spin but no lights or boot). My motherboard has a ezdebug thing and the CPU light was lighting up. It eventually died but I was able to get my warranty fulfilled and I received a full refund. I purchased a new one (both of these are from Micro Center) and it was working fine. I didn't have any of the issues my other one had. Now, every now and then when I turn it on, I get the same issues (fans spin but no lights or boot) and when that is happening the CPU led lights up. But when I hold down the power button and power it back on it boots up normally and no CPU led. I'm curious if my motherboard is killing my CPUs or what.

Specs
CPU: i7 9700k STOCK
Mobo: MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
Ram: Patriot Viper Elite 2400Mhz 32gb 2x16
GPU: GTX 1660ti Windforce
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 80 Plus Gold 650W

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Certainly this is an odd scenario, but there may be a common denominator. Are you able to use a program like HWiNFO64 to check CPU temps? Also, if you are able to, I would recommend clearing your MOBO's CMOS and checking for newer BIOS versions to flash, since there may be better stability improvements.

Lastly, you could always try uninstalling the CPU and looking for damaged/bent pins in the CPU socket.

Also, R_1 had a good idea trying a different PSU. Hope this helps. :)

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
for giggles do you have another PSU you could swap and test with?
I purchased a new PSU a couple of days ago (The old PSU was with the old dead CPU) so I dont thing its that one.
Hi there,

Certainly this is an odd scenario, but there may be a common denominator. Are you able to use a program like HWiNFO64 to check CPU temps? Also, if you are able to, I would recommend clearing your MOBO's CMOS and checking for newer BIOS versions to flash, since there may be better stability improvements.

Lastly, you could always try uninstalling the CPU and looking for damaged/bent pins in the CPU socket.

Also, R_1 had a good idea trying a different PSU. Hope this helps. :)
CPU temps seem to be normal. 45c running MC but around 35 when idle. CMOS has been cleared but the issue is still there. The bios version is the latest version (not the beta but the newest fully released version). When my first CPU died I spent over an hour closely inspecting every little pin on the mobo with a high powered magnifying glass and a bright light. All of them looked in perfect order and not bent or damaged.
Was this a complete new build? If it was, did you do a fresh Windows 10 install?
Wasn't a new build. I had an i5 9400f before the first i7 and it ran for a few months before I upgraded. The i5 didnt have this issue. The motherboard and ram are a few months old (like maybe 3 or 4), the hdd is around 7 months old but im about to purchase a new ssd, the cpu is a week or two old, and the PSU is a few days old. I did have a fresh windows 10 install a few weeks after I got the first i7 but the problems were there before and after that.

Wasn't a new build. I had an i5 9400f before the first i7 and it ran for a few months before I upgraded. The i5 didnt have this issue. The motherboard and ram are a few months old (like maybe 3 or 4), the hdd is around 7 months old but im about to purchase a new ssd, the cpu is a week or two old, and the PSU is a few days old. I did have a fresh windows 10 install a few weeks after I got the first i7 but the problems were there before and after that.
Thanks for the info. I agree with Sparky. Clear your MOBO's CMOS and checking for newer BIOS versions to flash, since there may be better stability improvements.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
It works I tested it, x86 is the architecture it can be 32 or 64 bit, your CPU is x86 64 bit:
System Requirements
  • x86 based hardware, 32bit or 64bit
  • UEFI platform firmware
  • Windows, Linux, or Mac OS
  • USB Flash Drive (>= 512MB capacity)
Alright I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the info. I agree with Sparky. Clear your MOBO's CMOS and checking for newer BIOS versions to flash, since there may be better stability improvements.
CMOS has been cleared and the BIOS version is currently 7B50v17 which is the newest as far as I can see on their website.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Try 1 pass of memtest86+ on each RAM stick alone.
I did the test but there were zero errors. It took a total of 6 hours, 1 minute, and 30 seconds.(don't know if you need that).

I would also like to add that this only happens after the PC has been off for a while. It happens after I go to sleep and wake up the next day to turn it on. I'm afraid one day it's not going to come on anymore like my old one did. If I turn the PC off then back on, it boots right up.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Try HWinfo and see if voltages are withing range. + or - 5%.
I thought it died for a second. It came on and went instantly off multiple times. I pushed the power button again and it came on but showed a blue screen with the sad face then restarted. It booted up like normal now.

I ran HWinfo but I don't know what I'm looking for. This is what came up. IMGUR

Last edited:
I would also like to add that this only happens after the PC has been off for a while. It happens after I go to sleep and wake up the next day to turn it on. I'm afraid one day it's not going to come on anymore like my old one did. If I turn the PC off then back on, it boots right up.

Maybe the motherboard battery? I think they're pretty generic - CR2032? Not 100% sure for your motherboard. Have a look at the one that's currently in it. You can buy them just about anywhere.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Everythimg seems normal.
So what do you think the issue is? Is it the motherboard battery that killed my other CPU? I'm afraid this one is going to die to and they won't honor my warranty so I will be unable to get a new one. I was told it could be a defective batch from microcenter but both of the processors are from separate batches.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
No idea but never heard of a motherboard being a CPU killer. It could be PSU or motherboard. Try another PSU?
When I had my old PSU it did the same thing. This is a newer one but I still have this issue. When my intel CPU died and wouldn't boot I plugged in my AM3+ motherboard and fx-6300 CPU it booted up with no problems with the same PSU.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Read my post again. Most motherboards have the CR2032 battery. You can buy them just about anywhere. Plus they're cheap! Grocery stores, etc... You can certainly buy one on Amazon. Before you purchase, have a good look at the one already in your motherboard to verify the type of battery.
Ok thank you. I will try the battery, and if that doesn't work then I'll purchase a new motherboard and test it (I will RMA the old one if the issue is fixed but it will take an estimated 15 days). Thanks!