New CPU fan = Lock-up after coming out of sleep

Jul 25, 2018
I have a desktop that I haven't used in about a year that has been stored at my family home whilst I have been working abroad. When I returned, I noticed that it was running a little hotter than normal. I cleaned out the case giving me a slight improvement in temps overall, but ultimately I decided to replace the stock Intel cooler for my i5-3570K with a Cooler Master 212 EVO.

The temps are sitting in a much nicer range now so I'm very happy with the fan. However, I noticed last night that the computer would lock up completely after I woke it from sleep. This is a 100% reproducable problem and I have been able to replicate it several times. The computer has been running quite well in the 5-6 years it's been used (bearing in mind it has been dormant for about a 1.5 of those years) and it did not have this issue before replacing the fan.

I have a theory, and that is that maybe the PSU is showing its age and stalling the system by not completely filling the new power requirements when waking from sleep mode. However, I logged data from the 12V and 5V rails using HWiNFO16 when I replicated the problem and the voltages were 12.192 and 5.08, respectively, before and after sleep. Not sure if this was the correct approach, however!

In summary:

I replaced the stock Intel cooler with a Cooler Master 212 EVO.
    - The installation required me to remove the motherboard completely from the case and strip the components in order to mount a back plate for the new fan.
    - CPU temps are good.

After waking the machine from sleep, the system will completely lock up after a few seconds.
    - I am able to log in to windows if I am quick enough, but ultimately it will freeze.
    - There is no BSOD, only a complete lack of responses to input.

Summary of my specs:

■ Operating System
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit
■ CPU
- Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
- Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
■ RAM
- 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
■ Motherboard
- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V (LGA1155)
■ Graphics
- BenQ EW2430 (1920x1080@60Hz)
- 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (NVIDIA)
■ Storage
- 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA)
- 111GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD)
- 931GB SAMSUNG HD103UJ (SATA)
■ Optical Drives
- TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB
■ Audio
- High Definition Audio Device
■ PSU
- Corsair HX650

There's a fair few errors popping up in the event viewer, including Kernel-Power (41) which I am assuming is to do with the fact that I had to manually power off the machine.

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure how to best present this information on here or even what is relevant to the problem. I have saved the administrative events from when I was replicating the problem in the early hours of this morning that I can share if this is helpful?

For now I have disabled sleep mode on the machine.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this before?