[SOLVED] New CPU for aging PC - which Ryzen?

mjonis

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
I know, you get a lot of these.
Current system is AMD FX-6100 CPU
ASUS -M5A99X motherboard
ASUS Geforce GTX-1050ii
1 TB SSD hard drive.

I don't do a lot of gaming anymore, about the highest "piggy" I have is either Dragon Age: Inquisition or Elder Scrolls Online.

Do a lot of desktop stuff (Office, Visio, etc.)

Squirrel killed itself on our transformer and my system hasn't behaved right since (was plugged into CyberPower UPS, but apparently not too good with surges? LOL)

I could replace the system board for "like" for $150.
But I got the original board like 5 years ago, the CPU in 2015 (and RAM)
Video card is 2 years old I think.

Was debating about an AMD 370 chipset with Ryzen 2nd gen CPU (the Ryzen 5 2400g I think). But I don't quite understand the video card pairing.

Thoughts (please be gentle, LOL)?
Should I go with something else? I'm not a big Intel fan mainly due to all the constant chipset replacements (I like the lifespan of AMD AM3, 3+ and now the 4 platform).

I prefer ASUS motherboards, but that's me.

Solution
I would recommend a Ryzen 5 2600 ($135), an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB ($120) and 16 GBs of 3200 MHz RAM ($100).
That is exactly what I built last November and I am very happy with it.
See my signature for my full specs.
It is an excellent all around build.
I play current games a few times a week, stream to 2 1080p TV's, some video encoding and various everyday tasks (email, web browsing, etc.).
I don't know what PSU you have but if it is at or past it's warranty, I would get a good quality 550W or 650W PSU as well ($80-$100).
Since you don't play any demanding games you could just use your 1050 Ti for a few more years.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would recommend a Ryzen 5 2600 ($135), an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB ($120) and 16 GBs of 3200 MHz RAM ($100).
That is exactly what I built last November and I am very happy with it.
See my signature for my full specs.
It is an excellent all around build.
I play current games a few times a week, stream to 2 1080p TV's, some video encoding and various everyday tasks (email, web browsing, etc.).
I don't know what PSU you have but if it is at or past it's warranty, I would get a good quality 550W or 650W PSU as well ($80-$100).
Since you don't play any demanding games you could just use your 1050 Ti for a few more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjonis
Solution