New CPU for intel 915g motherboard

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi. I have a sff pc (gigabyte cb91) with a pentium 4 3.2 GHz processor and 2 GB of DDR400 RAM on a 915G motherboard.
I would like to upgrade it to a CPU with the core architecture. Unfortunately the 915 chipset only supports single core LGA775 processors.
Changing the motherboard is not an option for me as it works out to be too expensive (plus the case is picoBTX and i can't find any motherboards that size here in india).

Would intel be releasing any core processors which might fit the 915 chipset in the near future?

Thanks in advance.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi. I have a sff pc (gigabyte cb91) with a pentium 4 3.2 GHz processor and 2 GB of DDR400 RAM on a 915G motherboard.
I would like to upgrade it to a CPU with the core architecture. Unfortunately the 915 chipset only supports single core LGA775 processors.
Changing the motherboard is not an option for me as it works out to be too expensive (plus the case is picoBTX and i can't find any motherboards that size here in india).

Would intel be releasing any core processors which might fit the 915 chipset in the near future?

Thanks in advance.

No, the 915 chipset won't be supported by any new processors. Sorry.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
The one computer of mine which is not AMD, and Intel does this to me! :(

Oh well... I'll just have to save up and will probably have enough money by the time AMD releases barcelona in 2 or 3 years. :wink:
Thanks anyway.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
The socket hasn't changed since i bought this comp. Intel deliberately released 915g to support only single core. And when they were b****y going to release the pentiumDs.

Motherboards based on the 915 and 925 series of chipsets will not work at all, as the chipsets do not have support for more than one processor core (a result of Intel trying to prevent motherboard manufacturers from making Xeon motherboards with the chipsets, as happened with the 875P). The 865 and 875 series chipsets do have multiprocessor support. Motherboards based on those chipsets may be Pentium D compatible so long as the manufacturer provides an appropriate BIOS update.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D

I use the pc for some serious number crunching and image analysis, so my major constraint is still the processor.

Anywayz, i guess i'm due for an upgrade.

Well, you can probably reuse the rest of your SFF machine sans the motherboard, CPU, and RAM and put a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM inside. If you're running multithreaded applications, a new dual-core CPU from either maker (either AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo) will greatly outperform a Pentium 4 3.2.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The one computer of mine which is not AMD, and Intel does this to me! :(

Oh well... I'll just have to save up and will probably have enough money by the time AMD releases barcelona in 2 or 3 years. :wink:
Thanks anyway.

AMD or Intel, the socket changes every generation. You not only need a new mobo, you need new memory too.

Not true, :)

Here we can cite AMD's good-ness with the upcoming K10.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Therein lies the rub.
The case only accepts picoBTX motherboards and i can't seem to find them here in india.
Hopefully once i'm done with college i can get a decent sff machine from somewhere.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Well, you can probably reuse the rest of your SFF machine sans the motherboard, CPU, and RAM and put a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM inside. If you're running multithreaded applications, a new dual-core CPU from either maker (either AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo) will greatly outperform a Pentium 4 3.2.

I'm hoping the quad cores will get to be cheaper and affordable by the time i save up enough money to get a new computer.

Once i do that i want to convert this machine into a HTPC system (it has a XFX 7800gt). Hope it will suffice for that.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Uh. BTX is an Intel standard that pretty well died with the Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds. However, I did find one Pico-BTX motherboard that will accept new CPUs: Intel's DQ965WC pico-BTX motherboard.

This is a Pico-BTX motherboard that will accept Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs. It is the ONLY Pico-BTX motherboard I have found, but it appears to be okay.

Thanks for the link MU. I figure it will cost me atleast about $400 to get this system upgraded if i need to change the motherboard and RAM. just don't want to spend so much on his system.

I figure, i could just wait and build a much better pc in about a year from scratch and devote this for HTPC purposes as it has ~500 GB of hard disk space. What do you know, i might even get rich enough to buy a HDTV to go with it. :)

I was just hoping there was some way i could salvage some performance out of it till then. Seems like i'm out of luck. :(

Hopefully by this time next year i'll be able to buy a barcelona... that is provided it's released and doesn't suck compared to core2quad.