Question New CPU for productivity

Jan 13, 2020
Hi. I'm building new system mainly for editing photos and images with Photoshop 2020 and Lightroom and I can't decide which Ryzen CPU will perfrom better - 3600 or 2700X. Already have 16GB 3200MHz RAM, and GTX 1660Super.
Benchmarks show that R5 3600 will perform better in single threaded tasks but I'm not sure how will perform when using Photoshop and Firefox with many tabs at the same time.

Jan 13, 2020
HI, whats your curreect CPU ?
An ancient AMD Athlon II X3 445.
I already bought the RAM and the GPU. Current PSU is corsair cx650. I think is enough.
I'm torn between 3600 and 2700x because of the price and really don't know which will perform better - R5 3600 with its faster single core speed or R7 2700X with more cores and threads.
Motherboard will be my last purchase. Its easy choice MSI Tomahawk B450, but the CPU?

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, and considering Photoshop and Lightroom don't take a lot of advantage of high core count cpus, If I were in your place I would probably pick the R5 3600 for its faster single threaded performance and its larger L3 cache. The R5 3600 12 threads seems more than enough for photo editing.

In any case, no matter which one you pick, it will be years away from your Athlon II X3 445.

Cheers

Last edited:
The Arctic is not too quiet under load and wont give you much in terms of thermal delta. For that you will need a way better cooler like one of the Noctua or Cryorig tower units.

Well, my even cheaper Gammaxx GTE is way quieter than the stock cooler and I got a speed bump with it on the all core frecuency under 100% load, not huge, but its there (benchmarked several times to be sure it was that).

And others members of this same forum and many reviews already sayd the Arctic was a quiet and good cooler for the price, even the one with only 1 fan.

Well, my even cheaper Gammaxx GTE is way quieter than the stock cooler and I got a speed bump with it on the all core frecuency under 100% load, not huge, but its there (benchmarked several times to be sure it was that).

And others members of this same forum and many reviews already sayd the Arctic was a quiet and good cooler for the price, even the one with only 1 fan.
As per my own experience with a build, the so called difference is not worth the money you pay for it. Better add a few bucks more and get something better like a Noctua. I have personally seen the difference in performance between the two, but thats just me.
Dont get me wrong, its a perfectly fine cooler, but not when you already have a pretty decent unit coming free of cost with the CPU.

Hi. I'm building new system mainly for editing photos and images with Photoshop 2020 and Lightroom and I can't decide which Ryzen CPU will perfrom better - 3600 or 2700X. Already have 16GB 3200MHz RAM, and GTX 1660Super.
Benchmarks show that R5 3600 will perform better in single threaded tasks but I'm not sure how will perform when using Photoshop and Firefox with many tabs at the same time.

A 3600 would do great...I use both Photoshop and Lightroom and they run very well with the 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5. I get really good performance pairing the 3600 with 3600mhz memory and using one SSD drive for image storage and a separate SSD for programs.