New cpu. Having major issues

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hello all. First I'd like to say pardon my spelling and or grammar. I'm on my phone with this atm due to my pc not working, we'll get to that.

So. I got a new cpu today. I just finished putting it in and then i plugged everything back in and tried to turn it on. My mouse, keyboard and screen would not turn on after turning on my pc. My pc then would restart itself after about 60 seconds. Im assuming it's in the black console screen with the F(#) keys for options but idk cuz i cant see the screen. Ive tried everything from what i know. I've tried checking all cables. Asking friends. They gave my suggestions and i did them but still no luck. Keep in mind my old cpu that i was just using this morning was working just fine with my keyboard, mouse and screen. As soon as i try this new cpu all of a sudden none of that is working. The new cpu i got is "i5 4690" my old one is "i5 4440" my motherboard is an Asrock "H81M-HDS" someone please help me. I paid 350 dollars for this

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Thank you so much for the fast response Adrian.
I have some questions about that
So 1. How do i uodate the BIOS after i put my old chip back in. 2 should i download the highest version thats available? Or just download p1.60. And 3. After i download the version what do i do with it? Does it give me a file or something?

Im sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject. This is my first time switching parts lol.

Get back to me whever you can :)

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I looked on the asrock website and it says that the i5 4690 is only for 1
P1.60. Are you sure its ok to get the latest version instead? And also what does it mean for "USB stick formatted as FAT32"? Do i need a special USB stick or should any kind work?

Adrian Ocampo

Distinguished
Newer versions add up what previous versions have, so its all good. You just format your USB to FAT32. Insert your USB, right click, format, File System: FAT32. Then put the file inside. Restart PC then follow the instructions.

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hey adrian. Alright its formatted and i have the latest version in the usb. The usb is also plugged into my computer. So just to double check so i dont fuck something up lol. All i do now is restart the pc. Then on the asrock screen i oress F6 to open the instant flash menu then what? Do i choose the bios file thats in the usb?

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Alright its "processing crashless feature" right now. Hopefully all works well. Now after all the updateing to the new bios is done do i just turn off the pc --assuming it doesn't turn off for me-- then unplug it and take out the old chip then put the new one in and all should be working?

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Alright it updated successfully and my pc restarted now im sitting here on my desktop screen. Im going to switch the new cpu back in and let u know how it goes. Wish me luck

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Helllo adrian. So i think it worked :D i say "think" because my keyboard is on now. Mouse is on and monitor is on with pc. I can see my mouse moving around on my screen when i move it BUT the scrern is black. The only thing i see is the mouse. Idk if i just need to give it a minute or what but its been like this for about 3 min now

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
WAIT WAIT ADRIAN IT WORKED ITS BACK. omg dude. Thank you so so so much for helping me through this man. I wouldve never figured it out if i didnt come in to this website and met u. Thank you so much adrian!

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Neve mind. Adrian i need help again. So it loaded up. I signed in and opened task manager to check the sexy new ghz power but one problem.. its saying its still my old "i5 4440" with one core but my new cpu is in my pc as we speak. Im so confused please help

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I restarted my pc and now its showing my new cpu installed but its still showing only one core. I checked the msconfig and it says theres only 1 core as well. I also checked the CPUID (CPU -Z) and its saying theres only one core. My friend is telling me that maybe when i restarted my pc with my old cpu in my pc after updating the bios that the bios had disabled the other cores to only 1. Would that even happen? He's telling me that "the bios might have set the cores to 1 by default due to your old cpu so that it could conserve power and keep your old cpu alive longer but when you switched to the new cpu your bios may have not enabled the other cores" do u think thats what is goin on? They're telling me to go into the bios and enable the cores manually but idk how to do that lol

Adrian Ocampo

Distinguished
Yes, that could be the case. Personally I am not familiarized with the UEFI bios of asrock, but most likely they are all the same. The best way i know to default your bios is to reset your cmos battery. just pop it out and put it back in (while turned off ofcourse). Once you have done that, go to your bios. Search for anything that is related to core. Just find them, it is easy to see. Probably in the OC Tweaker, CPU Ratio put it to all cores.

PS: to open bios, press [F2] when you boot your pc.

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I went to "advanced" and it showed cores to "all" then i clicked on and it set it to "3" hopefully that uses all 4. If not ill go to the oc tweaker and do that

The Hobo

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I already tried the msconfig. It wont let me set the cores to 4 its saying theres only 1. In advanced the cores are set to all but still only using 1. I treid ti set it to 3. Still using 1. Ill try that battery thing tomorrow and ill tell u what happens. Thanks for all the help in the mean time :)