New CPU help!

William Fischer

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I recently decided to begin upgrading my PC. I started by upgrading my GPU, 980 TI (reference). Now that i have some money to spend again, i am looking for a CPU. I am looking for a CPU that is as cheap as possible, without bottlenecking my GPU. I come to you, because i dont really know anything about the market, so i hope you can help :)

you need to work on your remote mind reading skills :D

Ok... I do not know how much money you have to spend, but from looking at the video card, I assume you are going to want to play games. I also have to assume that you have an 1150 socket based motherboard. So here are some general suggestions.

A) If you do not already have 8GB or more memory on your motherboard, make that a priority. 8GB is enough for almost any gaming environment, but some of us like to have 16GB.
B) Start at about the I5-3470 point, and if you have more money than what that costs, move up to the I5-3570K. If that's still below your budget, take a look at an I7-3770K.
C) Get a 256MB or larger SSD if you do not already have one. I have a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO as my primary drive. The current Samsung SSD's are the 850 Pro and EVO series.

Between those 3 items, you should be able to empty that excess cash you have burning a hole in your pocket. :)

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

Why :O (I knew the whole time it was an LGA1155 base board duh)