[SOLVED] New CPU help

rollo316

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
Hi folk I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu.
My setup is;
Cpu:Amd ryzen 3 1600x & be quiet cooler
Gpu: palit gtx 1080 super jetstream
Mobo: gigabyte x370 gaming 5
Ram: corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz

I feel like my pc is underperforming I struggle to get over 80 fps is most games like cod Warzone, witcher 3, fifa etc. I believe its my GPU as I bought it secondhand. I'm going to upgrade to the rtx 30 series when the worlds back to normal.
I believe I need to upgrade my cpu aswell or my current one would bottleneck?? I was looking at the ryzen 7 3600 or 3700. I plan to live stream as well.

Solution
Cheers for the reply, I was planning on upgrading my cpu now and towards the end of the year upgrade my gpu (hopefully they will be back in stock by then). I was looking at the ryzen 3700x but is that a bit of overkill ?
I wouldn't bother upgrading the CPU right now unless you don't mind dropping $200 on a Ryzen 5 3600. The Ryzen 5 3600 should be all you need for the games you listed and Ryzen 3000/Zen2 is the last officially supported CPU line for the 300 series motherboard. It will also be good enough for 1440p to 4k gaming with a high end GPU.

Zen 4 is on track for release at the end of the year, so you are better off waiting and saving that money for the more expensive DDR5 ram. Compared to your current CPU or an R5 3600...
What are the temps?
You actually have a balanced system currently, both cpu and ram are close to each other, ram is perfect for gaming.
So logically, if you want more fps in battleroyales or FPS games,cpu upgrade is what i would go for.
On the other hand if you want more fps in AAA titles, the Gpu is what i would upgrade.
What is the monitor resolutuon and exact make/model of your psu?

Reactions: RodroX
Hi folk I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu.
My setup is;
Cpu:Amd ryzen 3 1600x & be quiet cooler
Gpu: palit gtx 1080 super jetstream
Mobo: gigabyte x370 gaming 5
Ram: corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz

I feel like my pc is underperforming I struggle to get over 80 fps is most games like cod Warzone, witcher 3, fifa etc. I believe its my GPU as I bought it secondhand. I'm going to upgrade to the rtx 30 series when the worlds back to normal.
I believe I need to upgrade my cpu aswell or my current one would bottleneck?? I was looking at the ryzen 7 3600 or 3700. I plan to live stream as well.
GPUs don't just slow down with age or because they are second hand. That one is still strong when set up properly and drivers. If you are playing at 1080p it's most likely CPU is not exactly powerful enough or not set up for best performance.

Reactions: RodroX and Dj0gany

rollo316

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
What are the temps?
You actually have a balanced system currently, both cpu and ram are close to each other, ram is perfect for gaming.
So logically, if you want more fps in battleroyales or FPS games,cpu upgrade is what i would go for.
On the other hand if you want more fps in AAA titles, the Gpu is what i would upgrade.
What is the monitor resolutuon and exact make/model of your psu?

I'm not exactly sure what my temps are, I think its around 50-70 max. My gpu temps are fine. My cpu usage is + 70% same with gpu usage.
I use a acer predator 240hz monitor at 144hz and gsync

rollo316

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
GPUs don't just slow down with age or because they are second hand. That one is still strong when set up properly and drivers. If you are playing at 1080p it's most likely CPU is not exactly powerful enough or not set up for best performance.
Any tips on improving the performance to rule that out ?

In my humble opinion, if you are playing at 1080p resolution, then the weakest link seems to be your CPU. The Ryzen 5 1600X is really great but it may be limiting your FPS at that resolution.

According to Gigabytes website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-cpu, your motherboard, after a few BIOS updates, should be able to support Ryzen 3xxx (Zen 2) series.

Anything from a Ryzen 3 3300X to a Ryzen 5 3600 should give you a boost, how much? I can not tell. And the boost in FPS will be diferent on all games, some may see a bigger improvement, some only a small one.

If you ever move up to 1440p, then you may need that nvidia RTX 3xxxx power. For 1080p your current GPU seems more than fine.

PD: Be sure to carefully read the BIOS notes before doing anything!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany

rollo316

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
In my humble opinion, if you are playing at 1080p resolution, then the weakest link seems to be your CPU. The Ryzen 5 1600X is really great but it may be limiting your FPS at that resolution.

According to Gigabytes website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-cpu, your motherboard, after a few BIOS updates, should be able to support Ryzen 3xxx (Zen 2) series.

Anything from a Ryzen 3 3300X to a Ryzen 5 3600 should give you a boost, how much? I can not tell. And the boost in FPS will be diferent on all games, some may see a bigger improvement, some only a small one.

If you ever move up to 1440p, then you may need that nvidia RTX 3xxxx power. For 1080p your current GPU seems more than fine.

PD: Be sure to carefully read the BIOS notes before doing anything!!!
Cheers for the reply, I was planning on upgrading my cpu now and towards the end of the year upgrade my gpu (hopefully they will be back in stock by then). I was looking at the ryzen 3700x but is that a bit of overkill ?

I would stop at the Ryzen 5 3600 (or 3600X/XT if prices are close) for your current mobo (X370 chipset). As Djoza wrote the R5 3600 is good enough.

A Ryzen7 3700X is not overkill its a pretty awesome choice too, but will only bring you extra 1%~3% performance, not really worth it if you ask me (unless prices are really close to one another).

Later on if you have enough cash and you get a more powerfull GPU, perhaps you may think about moving to a newer platform like AMD Zen 4/5 or Intel "11/12 gen something" (sorry Im kinda lost with intel, sad things is I believe intel is also lost with intel, but thats another story).

Good luck!

I wouldn't bother upgrading the CPU right now unless you don't mind dropping $200 on a Ryzen 5 3600. The Ryzen 5 3600 should be all you need for the games you listed and Ryzen 3000/Zen2 is the last officially supported CPU line for the 300 series motherboard. It will also be good enough for 1440p to 4k gaming with a high end GPU.

Zen 4 is on track for release at the end of the year, so you are better off waiting and saving that money for the more expensive DDR5 ram. Compared to your current CPU or an R5 3600, you will get a massive boost of performance with Zen 4 on the new socket AM5 and it will support DDR5 ram starting at 4800MT/s minimum speed. The actual boost in performance will still be dependent on what resolution you are playing games, because higher resolutions have about the same fps on a Ryzen 5 3600 as a R7 5800X or even a R9 5900X. Once you start using 1440p or higher resolutions, a faster GPU should be your first priority for hardware upgrades.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Zen 4 is on track for release at the end of the year, so you are better off waiting and saving that money for the more expensive DDR5 ram. Compared to your current CPU or an R5 3600, you will get a massive boost of performance with Zen 4 on the new socket AM5 and it will support DDR5 ram starting at 4800MT/s minimum speed. The actual boost in performance will still be dependent on what resolution you are playing games, because higher resolutions have about the same fps on a Ryzen 5 3600 as a R7 5800X or even a R9 5900X. Once you start using 1440p or higher resolutions, a faster GPU should be your first priority for hardware upgrades.

I agree, at $200 the 3600 is not a good buy really. Price are all over the place.

rollo316

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015

Cheers for the advice, I think I will just wait then

Reactions: RodroX and Dj0gany