Question New cpu installed but no signal on monitor

Feb 13, 2019
So I ordered a new cpu for my pc and I installed the latest bios thinking I'm ready to go so I installed the new cpu i7 7700k on my b150m mortal but I got no signal please help

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
My dbug led says its dram AND cpu that's at fault but when I put In the old cpu there's no leds
It could be that you bent some of the pins on the motherboard socket. Did you just force the CPU off? But that's really hard to do so it could be that your motherboard is defective. I mean the b150 is a pretty old board, but the Ram Situation is weird. Do you have a different motherboard to test it on or a freinds PC to test it on? It could be just a bad board.

Also did you check the motherboards supported cpu list? It could be that the i7 7700K is not supported on that board. Also if the Ram was also a problem how could you check the Bios version? Another solution would be to go into your bios and see what version is installed just because it says it in windows does not mean squat if it does not say it in the bios itself. could also be that you had bad luck with the new CPU.

If I where you I would upgrade to something like a MSI B450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 7 2700x (which outruns the 7700K at lower clock speeds and has more cache and cores) and is far too overpriced because it's overclockable. Not trying to start a war here, but if you want bang for your buck go AMD.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
My pc runs fine on old cpu(i5 6500), I checked if it can use the 7700k and it can as long as I update the bios which I did. I only get the dram debug Led when my new cpu is in. And no I didn't force anything it might be that whoever said it supports it was wrong.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Msi b150m mortar
No as long as you downloaded the BIos Correctly I'm seeing that it should be compatible. Hmm that's weird did you follow the guide to update your Bios to a T on youtube, or did you just try to do it yourself? Maybe there are some bent pins on the CPU I would check that with a eye glass. You could go to computer shop near you and ask if you could use one of there motherboards to see if your CPU and Ram Are working correctly.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
The debug Led shows a long dram flash then it stops, followed by a short cpu led flash and it just repeats idk if it means anything
That does mean something Does your Ram debug light ever come back on, or does it turn off and then does not come back on. If That is it then It's most Likely a CPU problem. Do any lights come on when you use your i5 6500?

Feb 13, 2019
No as long as you downloaded the BIos Correctly I'm seeing that it should be compatible. Hmm that's weird did you follow the guide to update your Bios to a T on youtube, or did you just try to do it yourself? Maybe there are some bent pins on the CPU I would check that with a eye glass. You could go to computer shop near you and ask if you could use one of there motherboards to see if your CPU and Ram Are working correctly.
I used msi's video guide
That does mean something Does your Ram debug light ever come back on, or does it turn off and then does not come back on. If That is it then It's most Likely a CPU problem. Do any lights come on when you use your i5 6500?
It repeats, long ram flash followed by short cpu flash and repeats

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
I used msi's video guide

It repeats, long ram flash followed by short cpu flash and repeats
That would mean it's probably both. What is weird is that you get a perfect boot with that RAM and that Intel i5 6500 right? No Lights at all? I am Still thinking there is a problem with a bent pin on the CPU I would look into that

Last edited: