Question New cpu installed FTPM/psp corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilDaMassTyson

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
I just upgraded my cpu from an AMD 2600x to a 5800x and installed some new RAM. When I booted the computer I got this error message that says “new cpu installed, FTPM/PSP corrupted and then tells me I can either

“press Y to reset FTPM, if you have bitlocker or encryption enabled the system will not boot without recovery key”.

Or

“press N to keep previous FTPM record and continue system boot, ftpm will not enable in new CPU, you can swap back to old cpu to recover TPM related data and key.”
I updated my bios prior to installing the new hardware so bios would recognize it and thought I had done all my research on how to do this but apparently not. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? I have not moved on from this error screen yet. Thanks!

Specs
X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WI-FI mobo
850w seasoning PSU
Amd 2600x wraiths cpu (old)
Amd 5800x cpu (new)
Gskill 2x8 DDR4 ram (old)
Gskill 2x16 DDR4 ram (new)

Jul 11, 2022
I have the same problem.
I pressed n and continued to windows but in a long the pc shutdown itself and I have to try and boot it up again.

I also did same for y the next time that message came on and same result
For now I think I'll just install windows 11 and see

I have the same problem.
I pressed n and continued to windows but in a long the pc shutdown itself and I have to try and boot it up again.

I also did same for y the next time that message came on and same result
For now I think I'll just install windows 11 and see
The question's already been asked but I don't think ever answered: are you using bitlocker? If you don't even know what it is probably not but if you're running Win10 Pro and ever enabled something called "whole disk encryption" thinking it a good thing you might be.

Bitlocker stores keys in the fTPM so you have to be careful since the fTPM is in the CPU. Changing the CPU changes the fTPM and Windows reacts to that by thinking it's corrupted.

Installing Windows 11 may be a good choice...and somewhat inevitable for most of us. Hopefully you updated your BIOS to the latest, which is better for Win 11. But also do a CMOS reset first so that everything is in the proper default settings letting Windows install itself properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.