Question New CPU Installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Chassis Intruded ! Fatal Error... System Halted.

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I recently installed some new GPUs (2080s in SLI with NVLink) and a cheap SSD (and have never ever overclocked or meddled with the BIOS except for some minor fan speed tweaking). The system motherboard is an ROG Rampage III Black Edition. The system rocks performance, along with the CPU, an Intel i7-990x, which way back in 2011, was a premium set up.

Anyhow, after doing these installations, on cold start after the system has been down for half a day or so, I get the message on start up--and this has been happening for the last few days. This is what it reads, word for word: New CPU Installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Chassis Intruded ! Fatal Error... System Halted.

All I do to rectify the situation is simply hold down the power switch till it powers down. Then I wait like no time at all, and then simply start it again, and then it starts fine, every time. I am worried though that this process is not healthy, and that something may be wrong. I have no clue what to do though to fix the problem. The system runs totally fine though otherwise--even with a fairly heavy load gaming. HWMonitor reports no high temps, or anything like that--all seems to be perfect, in fact. Also, after starting up successfully, I have restarted again (test 1), shut the system off (normally) and powered up (started it) again (test 2), shut the system off (normally) and then cut the power (like I do every day after shutdown) and then powered up again (test 3), and have not seen the error re-occur with these tests. But then the next day at startup, back to the message again...

It doesn't make sense that the battery would suddenly be the problem, but this cannot be ruled out either. I have also reset the CMOS, and it made no difference.

I imagine there is a small chance something minor might be shorted somewhere, but have no idea if that is true, and it doesnt look that way. Maybe a wire is pushing up against the board somewhere--that is possible. Also, the SSD I installed is a cheap thing (and just for some extra storage--so it has been formatted but nothing is yet on it), but not listed on the QVL list, but it seems to work totally fine--as it is recognized, and I changed the drive name no problem.

Here are the system specs:

Asus ROG Rampage III Black Edition motherboard
Intel i7-990x at stock speed 3.46 MHz (six core)
2x Asus Turbo (blower) RTX 2080 (non-super, recently installed)
Asus ROG Ryuo 240 AOI cooler
24 GB RAM G.Skill (QVL supported)
AX1200 watt Corsair PSU
Haf X case with stock fans and a Noctua 140mm
Main SSD: Crucial MX500 (Listed as supported QVL)
Second SSD: Fatty Dove 240 GB (recently installed)

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Interesting Motherboard!!! Weird that it says new CPU... Have you adjusted your PCI Lane switches for the dual gpu? Motherboard manual page 2-18 and 2-21. If that's the issue I can only think that the system is thinking that one of the GPU's is a CPU which would make sense of the error you're noticing.
HERE is a visual indicator for SLI working.

If that doesn't help I would recommend that you get into the Systems BIOS and lets see what CPU it sees and report back please.

Reactions: Fluffly Fluff

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Have you adjusted your PCI Lane switches for the dual gpu?

If that doesn't help I would recommend that you get into the Systems BIOS and lets see what CPU it sees and report back please.

Thanks for replying. SLI is working fine--I've been monitoring it with HWMonitor, and all is well. The switches that you are talking about are indeed set correctly--I had verified that already. Also the system BIOS sees the CPU fine. All the numbers look fine and Windows also reports everything correctly.

I think I have fixed it--as I have not gotten the message now after a few startups after having the system unplugged for a while. Here are the things I did:

1. I made double sure there were no wires anywhere touching the MB. I found one that was doing that.
  2. I pushed on the CMOS battery a few times (and witnessed it spring loaded--maybe it was coming lose or that reset it or something.
  3. I connected a molex power connector from the PSU to the board near where the second GPU is installed, at the bottom of the board for a second way for the board to get its power. Maybe there was too much power from the main power connector, and somehow that was tripping up the system.
  4. I pulled out a few usb connector cables and reseated them.

Should the problem resurface I will be back to repost.