Question 'New' CPU is performing awfully and causing crashes

2feetonmars

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
Hi guys, please let me know if this question isn't allowed here and ill remove it.

A week ago I bought a Ryzen 1700X second hand (but with a 2 year warranty) from a reliable 'pawn' chain in the UK (CEX) and it arrived today. I spent the day reinstalling windows so I can have a truly fresh start all ready for the new Ryzen to be installed.

Upon swapping out my 1300X with the 'new' one (onto a Gigabyte A320M) it boots fine (although it took twice as long as it used to with my older, theoretically slower, CPU particularly on the 'Gigabyte' boot screen) and performs well for around 2 minutes at 3.4GHz until the performance completely drops to 0.54GHz and anything slightly intensive, such as opening more than 4 internet tabs, causes my whole PC to crash and switch off. It also says that only 7.95GB of my 16GB of RAM is usable (I'm not sure that's even relevant I thought I'd add it just in case.

My fresh install of windows is fully activated and was performing perfectly as expected before I installed my new CPU.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And, can anyone point me in the direction of solving it? I've been fiddling about with computers more or less my whole life but I'm far from an expert when it comes to hardware!

I'm more than willing to provide any details I possibly can - Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
First update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Did you confirm that the AS320M supports the 1700X ? Details matter so check the fine print and Gigabyte's website.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply the paste?

Check that both RAM modules are fully and firmly seated.

2feetonmars

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
First update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Did you confirm that the AS320M supports the 1700X ? Details matter so check the fine print and Gigabyte's website.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply the paste?

Check that both RAM modules are fully and firmly seated.

Sorry, I'm new to this whole forum thing so I never know what to include

PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 550 - 1-year-old, so good condition
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I've seen people on forums today saying similar couplings (MOBO + CPU) are a bad match, but the official Gigabyte website seems to disagree.

Thermal Paste: I used Arctic MX4 (I've seen everyone use it), I applied it onto the CPU directly in the middle with a pea-sized amount.

and the RAM seems to be installed fine - I've reinstalled it carefully and it's no better

I am using the stock AMD cooler that was included with my 1300X... I will install Ryzen master and will track the temperature right now - Thanks!

2feetonmars

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
Guys, I am so sorry. When I was installing my CPU I broke into a massive panic attack and when I calmed down I put the side of my case straight on forgetting to plug in the CPU fan. everything looks stable at the moment. Im so sorry for wasting your time, and thanks a lot for helping out, people like you are a gift to earth!

D

Deleted member 2720853

Guys, I am so sorry. When I was installing my CPU I broke into a massive panic attack and when I calmed down I put the side of my case straight on forgetting to plug in the CPU fan. everything looks stable at the moment. Im so sorry for wasting your time, and thanks a lot for helping out, people like you are a gift to earth!
There is no "wasting of time" here. If you have a question, ask, that's why we and this forum exist. To help.

Dealing with PCs can be stressful even after years of experience, it's understandable.

Reactions: 2feetonmars