[SOLVED] New CPU makes laptop shut down after startup

Jul 25, 2019
I'm working on an old computer (Sony Vaio from around 2002, running windows xp sp3) and was cleaning the inside. When I put the laptop back together I forgot to plug in the fan. I turned the computer on and after a while of running it, I see smoke come out of the air vent and the computer shuts off. The processor was fried. I replaced it with a new Amd Athlon and put thermal grease on it. I booted up the laptop, but after a quarter of a second, it shuts off again. Everything is in place (I made sure to double check the fan cable) and I didn't see anything wrong. I tried the ram sticks one at a time, but no luck. I noticed that the old processor (other than color) was different than the new. The different models might be the problem. I then replaced the new processor with the old and the computer stays on, but nothing displays. The new processor makes the computer turn off immediately. Having no processor makes the computer shut off immediately too. What should I do?

Specs:
Laptop: 2002 sony vaio 512 mb ram
Old Processor: AMD Athlon 27178 ~1.8ghz
New Processor: Amd Athlon 27648 2ghz

Solution
If you can't get into the bios with the new or old processor there isn't much you can do, other than to purchase the same initial processor that you know works. If will be needed to do the next steps --> However if you can, look for bios updates. The latest bios update for that laptop might have support for the latter processor.
Jul 25, 2019
can't get into the bios with the new or old processor there isn't
If you can't get into the bios with the new or old processor there isn't much you can do, other than to purchase the same initial processor that you know works. If will be needed to do the next steps --> However if you can, look for bios updates. The latest bios update for that laptop might have support for the latter processor.
Thanks, i'll try looking for an update or a new processor

Jul 25, 2019
Just to clarify, would it work if I bought a processor with the exact same model number? Then could I update the bios?

Last edited: