Question New CPU, MB and Cooler, now system keeps shutting down under load? (Temps seem fine?)

Dec 1, 2022
Hi all,

I am aware there are a lot of threads with this issue but I want to make my own to ask what the best steps are to try and find the cause..

The issue is under load while gaming or vr, the computer will shut off unexpectedly. It normally requires me to press the power button again, although sometimes i have to power cycle the actual psu switch too.

I have monitored temps and all seem fine with nothing going above 70. I have updated bios to nerwest version and have all upated chipset, gfx and windows drivers installed.

This is my setup:

MSI MAG B550 Tomohawk
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Ram
ASUS RTX 3080 12GB
MSI MAG Coreliquid C280 (All in one cooler)
Corsair RM750
4 x SATA SSD
1 x SATA HDD

Pretty much every componant here is new within last 6 months except the PSU and SSD/HDD.

The problem started after I got the MB, CPU and Pump together last week, but before this I had an Asus x99-S MB and a Core i7-5960X

This leaves me thinking its either:

1. Bad build leading to a temp problem i'm somehow not seeing?
  2. MB problem
  3. PSU underpowered, or faulty at higher power?
Any help would be much appreciated. There is no obvious logs in event viewer, only that the system suddenly shut down.

EDIT - just ran 2 psu calculators and it looks like my max usage is somewhere between 700 - 740 Watt? Could this just simply be need a better psu?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022
If I remember correctly, older RM-non X psus specifically, didn't handle RTX 30 series transient spikes well compared to RMX.
Newer batches don't have that problem.

oh interesting - that would explain the randomness of it!

I just purchased a Corsair HXi Series HX1000i 80 PLUS Platinum so that should do it i hope!

Slightly underpowered I would say. RM750 is okay, but you really should have an 850W at least for a 3080.

Also you need to look into your CPU temps. The MSI Mag coolers have a known issue with clogging up.

Thanks! - I'm pretty sure cpu temps are all good, its a new cooler and im not seeing any issues on temps hense my confusion! I'll keep that in mind though thanks! - actually is it worth getting a cpu temp monitoring app that can alert on a certain temp in case this issue arises you think? If so do you have any recommendations please?