[SOLVED] New CPU, Mobo and RAM causing freezes/locking up.

AngryScotsman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys so I just bought a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM to replace my old setup. After installing the new parts I booted up windows and logged in fine but after a couple of minutes my PC would hard freeze and had to be shut down with the power button. At first I figured I could just boot up into my current windows and be good to go but then decided to do a reset since thats what most recommend to do, during the reset the PC froze again at around 80% after waiting a couple of hours for it all to reset. After rebooting back up my windows was reset but freezing still persisted with my new CPU setup. I swapped back to my old system to see if there was any problems and it has been working fine. I decided then to do a complete fresh install of windows so I disconnected my drive that has windows on it and attempted to install windows onto my other SSD which is now clean/empty, using a USB stick to install windows gets to some random % on the preallocating files after setting the partitions up and freezes again. Ive tried using each of my RAM sticks on their own and then back to 2 but to no avail, Ive also set the bios back to default settings just to be sure but this still hasnt solved it. I have gotten 2 BSOD's when installing windows after the PC has frozen which is the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, this happened twice out of several attempts to fresh install windows, the BSOD would also hard freeze once the error came up.

I feel like this is either a BIOS issue or I may have a defective part not 100% sure and would like some input or advice if anyone has any other solutions, my next step is to try do a bios update by flashing the bios but from further reading some say this can brick the mobo, if anyone has advice about this or if i should try it anything helps atm since I feel like my solutions are now limited.

Old system
CPU: i5 4670k
Mobo: Asus Z87-K
RAM: 8GB Gskill
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair RM 650
Storage: 1xWD Black 1TB, 2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

New system was only upgrading CPU, Mobo and RAM
CPU: i7 9700k
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Pro Carbon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB

Solution
Do you have XMP enables in the BIOS (for your RAM)? If so, turn it off for now - it may be that your board doesn't like the timings for the XMP profile. Rare on an Intel platform, but possible.

Definitely should be running MemTest here, to rule that in or out.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
try do a bios update by flashing the bios but from further reading some say this can brick the mobo
This will only happen if say the BIOS became corrupt if you suddenly had a power cut for example.

Did you clean install Windows using the media creation tool from Microsoft?
I would be tempted to check the CPU/Socket for bent pins or contamination also.
It may also be worth running memtest for at least 4 passes to verify that the RAM is probably working normally.

AngryScotsman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
This will only happen if say the BIOS became corrupt if you suddenly had a power cut for example.

Did you clean install Windows using the media creation tool from Microsoft?
I would be tempted to check the CPU/Socket for bent pins or contamination also.
It may also be worth running memtest for at least 4 passes to verify that the RAM is probably working normally.
Ive attempted to clean install windows onto my empty SSD using the ISO image from the creation tool but the freezes occur. As for memtest I cant get onto windows for that long with my upgraded parts due to the freezing so not sure if I can run it for too long. I also havent checked the socket, wasnt sure if removing the cpu would be a bad idea or not so Ive kept it in.
Do you think a BIOS update would maybe solve it? How would i go about getting the cpu out of the socket without damaging it ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As for memtest I cant get onto windows for that long
Memtest does not run in windows, it runs on a bootable USB. https://www.memtest86.com/
Do you think a BIOS update would maybe solve it?
Certainly possible if there is a firmware/hardware conflict somewhere. But there are no guarantees.

How would i go about getting the cpu out of the socket without damaging it ?
Did you not install it?

See points 9 onwards from here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Removing CPU is simple, just remove the cooler, unlock the bracket, and gently pull the cpu directly up carefully. Nothing more, as long as you don't yank it out of the socket then you'll be fine. If you want a guide: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/...xt=You might need a flat,piece out of the way. Just you may want to heat up the CPU a tiny bit by running the PC, shutting off and power draining the PC, then gently twisting the CPU cooler off. Letting it heat up a bit allows the thermal paste to soften slightly for removal.

However do not do this if you do not have spare thermal paste to reapply as you will want to clean away the old and reapply new thermal paste.

Did you put the new parts together yourself?

AngryScotsman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Memtest does not run in windows, it runs on a bootable USB. https://www.memtest86.com/

Certainly possible if there is a firmware/hardware conflict somewhere. But there are no guarantees.

Did you not install it?

See points 9 onwards from here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Removing CPU is simple, just remove the cooler, unlock the bracket, and gently pull the cpu directly up carefully. Nothing more, as long as you don't yank it out of the socket then you'll be fine. If you want a guide: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-remove-a-processor-from-a-motherboard#targetText=You might need a flat,piece out of the way. Just you may want to heat up the CPU a tiny bit by running the PC, shutting off and power draining the PC, then gently twisting the CPU cooler off. Letting it heat up a bit allows the thermal paste to soften slightly for removal.

However do not do this if you do not have spare thermal paste to reapply as you will want to clean away the old and reapply new thermal paste.

Did you put the new parts together yourself?
I did install it all myself, everything went pretty normal as i had done it a few years ago with my old system, only difficult part was getting the Hyper 212 RGB installed, from videos i watched that seemed to be a common problem. Maybe some damage was done and I dont know it, Ill check it out.

I also did forget to mention that my system sits fine in the UEFI BIOS, i had it sit in there for an hour or 2 and no freezing or anything occurred, if that helps in any way

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you have XMP enables in the BIOS (for your RAM)? If so, turn it off for now - it may be that your board doesn't like the timings for the XMP profile. Rare on an Intel platform, but possible.

Solution

AngryScotsman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I didnt have XMP enabled and also did a memtest to rule out a possible ram issue and it came back all clean with no errors after around 3hrs 30mins. Also took the CPU out like what PC Tailor suggested to check the socket and all the pins were perfectly fine and no contamination. My last option is to do that BIOS update and see if that fixes anything. I cant think of anything else after that except a faulty part