Question New CPU n GPU pull more power....but

They don't run hot and yet they deliver high performance. So, I upgraded to a i5-12600k + RTX 3080 and I expected the system to use more power. And power means heat. Well, although the GPU alone pulls 250-300W (prior 980ti was around 200ish), both components are running cooler (yet they both pull more power) than prior components. Please explain how.

They don't run hot and yet they deliver high performance. So, I upgraded to a i5-12600k + RTX 3080 and I expected the system to use more power. And power means heat. Well, although the GPU alone pulls 250-300W (prior 980ti was around 200ish), both components are running cooler (yet they both pull more power) than prior components. Please explain how.
Better cooling solutions?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The power ratings for both the GPU and CPU systems are their MAX power consumption, reached only when those components are working at their max capabilities. It is entirely possible that your new components are actually more efficient in power use that your old ones, especially since they are designed to be able to do much more when requested. So, when doing the SAME work as your old system, these new components are able to do it with LESS actual power consumption. However, if you start to do much more complex tasks or use more demanding games, for example, the new system will be able to do that and will use more power for that tougher job.

Reactions: drivinfast247
The power ratings for both the GPU and CPU systems are their MAX power consumption, reached only when those components are working at their max capabilities. It is entirely possible that your new components are actually more efficient in power use that your old ones, especially since they are designed to be able to do much more when requested. So, when doing the SAME work as your old system, these new components are able to do it with LESS actual power consumption. However, if you start to do much more complex tasks or use more demanding games, for example, the new system will be able to do that and will use more power for that tougher job.
Yeah I hear you, but I'm confused.....new components are more "efficient", yet they pull higher wattage. Wouldn't that alone be enough for an increase? I get that less is wasted but heat is heat. I know the performance is vastly better but how does my power delivered equal less heat?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The point is that those new components do NOT pull that much power all the time. MOST of the time they use much less - only what they need to do the current task. Those ratings are the maximum limit they MIGHT need to use for their maximum work capacity. If they are more efficient in their work than your old parts, then doing the SAME job as before can use LESS power on the new equipment.

Yes, a lot of newer cpus for example have a base clock, then a higher boost clock, and will only dial up the extra power when it needs to. I think gpus are going this way also. So basically if you aren’t asking any more of the new components than you did of the old ones, essentially they might be sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting on something to do.

Reactions: Paperdoc