Question New CPU nightmare - fTPM NV error then black screen....

Feb 12, 2023
Hi all

Bit of a nightmare today...I've just changed my motherboard and CPU today....gone to install a B550 Aorus Elite V2 and Ryzen 5800X.

After connecting everything up, on first boot I get the following error which is detailed here:

I've never come across Bitlocker so assumed it wasn't switched on, so I pressed "Yes"

The screen went black and that's where I'm stuck. I had to hard power the PC down, and switching it back on just gives me a black screen. The fans running, but it doesn't even post. Also, the first time I tried to boot, the power light on my Corsair keyboard came on....now it stays off.

It's like the motherboard is dead, but that doesn't make sense to me. I've tried resetting the CMOS, and also taken the GPU out and connected my monitor to the DP connector on the motherboard....but I get nothing.

Any ideas? I'm really stuck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With the 3600 and GPU installed, disconnect all power sources (power cable, video cable, powered speakers, etc). Then press the power button to discharge any residual power in components (I'm serious). Then remove the motherboard battery, noting which side goes "up". Wait one minute.

Before reconnecting the battery, make sure everything is secure (memory, cables, etc). Just a solid double-check.

Re-insert the battery and reconnect the previously removed connections and try again.

Feb 12, 2023
Thanks, I've just tried that.....same issue.

Feels like the motherboard is fried, but don't understand that as I got to the error message the first time the PC booted.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There have been issues with Gigabyte motherboards. For example:

Do you have access to another GPU? If so, try swapping that one in for troubleshooting purposes.

Feb 12, 2023
No, I don't have another GPU.

I tried to flash the BIOS last night via Q-Flash. . When I hold the button down on the back the USB drive itself flashes, but not the light on the back panel, and the fans don't spin up. Not sure where to go from here...

Feb 12, 2023
So I've just spent the last 2 hours re-installing my old motherboard (B450). Put the old CPU in...no power to keyboard or mouse, no posting....CPU error light on the motherboard.

I took out the old processor and put in the new CPU....exactly the same.

I'm utterly stumped and frustrated now. 2 motherboards, 2 CPUs. Nothing works.