[SOLVED] New CPU - No Display

Aug 21, 2021
I recently upgraded to a new CPU. Now the GPU does not work (probably needs a driver), but the integrated graphics doesn't work either.

Mobo: ASRock A320m-HDV
Old CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2300x
New CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: Radeon something- or- other (can't remember and currently can't turn on the computer to find out)

I have tried updating the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, and reverted the OS so it's a fresh install. Tried reseating the GPU, using only 1 stick of RAM...

I'm at my limit. I don't know what else to do. My only idea is that perhaps the GPU is incompatible, as the box of the CPU says it requires a compatible DISCRETE GPU to work.

I really don't know what else to do... any ideas?

Edit: the GPU is a Radeon R7 240 2Gb. Any idea if this is the issue?

Solution
I recently upgraded to a new CPU. Now the GPU does not work (probably needs a driver), but the integrated graphics doesn't work either.

GPU: Radeon something- or- other (can't remember and currently can't turn on the computer to find out)

I have tried updating the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, and reverted the OS so it's a fresh install. Tried reseating the GPU, using only 1 stick of RAM...

I'm at my limit. I don't know what else to do. My only idea is that perhaps the GPU is incompatible, as the box of the CPU says it requires a compatible DISCRETE GPU to work.

Edit: the GPU is a Radeon R7 240 2Gb. Any idea...

Edit: the GPU is a Radeon R7 240 2Gb. Any idea if this is the issue?
Simply the motherboard isn't supported. Get a B450M Mortar, Steel Legend, Pro4, plug in 2300x, update to the latest bios, boot to windows, go to device manager and uninstall all the processors (also dont connect to internet yet) like this:

unknown.png

Then shut down your pc, plug in 5600X, boot to bios and load optimized settings/reset to default and set back your XMP, plug in back to internet, install amd chipset driver from amd website.

And there you go, pc will perform as fluid as ever.

Solution
Aug 21, 2021
I might as well have bought a new computer at this rate...

I ended up getting a new GPU anyways since the Radeon R7 240 2Gb is somewhat outdated. Now the new Mobo is on the way. At this point, I've replaced everything but the case, Power Supply and Hard Drives.

Looks like I'm getting that upgrade I wanted a lot sooner than I was planning.

Sarcasm aside, thanks for your input. I was under the impression that the Mobo should work with the updated BIOS since it supports AM4, but I guess its the newer gen CPU thats the problem?

If I may ask, how did you know that was the problem?

Last edited:
Sarcasm aside, thanks for your input. I was under the impression that the Mobo should work with the updated BIOS since it supports AM4, but I guess its the newer gen CPU thats the problem?
300 series were supposed to be EOL of support, with some brand are giving beta bios for 5xxx series. I understand how dissapointing it is when AM4 were supposed to be 1 time slot for many cpus, the chipset/motherboard dont, sometimes because old motherboard got worse pcb design and worse component design, compared to 4xx and 5xx chipset based mobos, sometimes it's because buisness need to be done :"D.

Aug 21, 2021
So basically that mobo series is just too old?

Well damn, that sucks. Least I've got an upgraded PC now. Should be able to get some good quality graphics in-game for once

Aug 21, 2021
My impromptu, unplanned, buying parts as the old ones end up incompatible build XD

Thanks. I'm just really hoping the new GPU works fine and I'm hoping the new Mobo fixes the issue. If they work, then I'll be happy lol

Aug 21, 2021
And yeah, i basically rebuilt it. With the gpu and mobo that are coming, that's more or less all the major parts replaced. Only components i haven't replaced are the power supply and the drives

The mobo you suggested. The B450M Steel Legend etc.
Well, you could plug 2300x first (since it's the base supported cpu) and update the bios to the latest, it's 4.20 iirc. My friend use the latest bios on the same motherboard with r5 2600 and he said he gain much more stability on OS after OC ing his cpu and ram, the timing works fluently without random crashes and stuffs like earlier, so yeah, a good advice before you install the windows.

For me, updating bios is first, installing chipset driver after installing windows come second, and the rest is up to you :D

Also R7 240 for light gaming is ok as my GT 730 1gb DDR5 still could hold up gta online XD

Aug 21, 2021
So install mobo, use old cpu to update BIOS, uninstall old cpu, install new one, install/update drivers. Got it. ^^

Thank you for your advice on this. I was extremely frustrated with this lol

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I might as well have bought a new computer at this rate...

I ended up getting a new GPU anyways since the Radeon R7 240 2Gb is somewhat outdated. Now the new Mobo is on the way. At this point, I've replaced everything but the case, Power Supply and Hard Drives.

Looks like I'm getting that upgrade I wanted a lot sooner than I was planning.

EDIT: It's the same form factor, yeah? I forgot to ask that. I'm not really savvy when it comes to form factors so I dont know what to check to ensure the mobo is the same form factor.

EDIT for the EDIT: I'm stupid. Literally just had to look for the Form Factor on the specs. Disregard last question.

Yeah, you can't ever really just go by socket. CPUs have to specifically be coded into the BIOS to work on a motherboard. Plus, there are always some motherboards that don't get all the support of that generation after release, most commonly entry-level boards (like your current one) not getting support for the highest power CPUs that are technically compatible. And in the case of AM4, the motherboard generation has lasted so long that motherboard manufacturers are running out of room on their BIOS chips which are mostly 128 MB. Margins on motherboards are tight and most of these companies have a massive numbers of the 128 MBs stashed away already, so there's little appetite for redesigns.

Aug 21, 2021
So, i just got the new mobo in, put the old cpu in it and got everything hooked up. However, as soon as i turn it on, the leds all come on for a second before the computer shuts off.

Is it safe to assume that since everything is new, the most likely cause is too weak of a PSU? Its a 600W, and I've had it for a long time.