[SOLVED] New cpu no improvement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LiveIsCruel

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for a help as I have upgraded my cpu from ryzen 5 2600 to ryzen 5 5600x(I'll put specs below) and there is no difference in performance at all. I turned on PBO without any oc. Please help me as I have no clue at all.

Bios is updated as all the drivers. Gpu when gaming at 80c and cpu barely 65 cooled with corsair.

Motherboard: Asus b450m-a
Memory: 2x8gb 2660mhz
Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x
Gpu: Nvidia RTX 2060 6gb

PS. please don't mind my nick as I don't mistake somehow when I created account 🤣

Solution
I just want to upgrade my pc. I will wait with upgrading GPU then. What do you thing about getting some decent memory like corsair vengeance or mobo for something different?
I think your mobo is lower end so you could upgrade if you wanted to. I really don't know why you would though, it wouldn't give you any improvements in gaming. I mean if you want to OC and need better VRMs then sure, but other than that there isn't much of a point. The mobo just dictates what parts you can use in your PC, its up to those parts to actually get the job done. Same goes for ram. Sure you'd get marginal gains in CPU performance and maybe you'd gain a few frames in some games but nothing noticeable. I'd suggest focusing on the GPU if you want a...

LiveIsCruel

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Okay so I tested my GPU usuage and in Warzone for example GPU is about 87% - 90% CPU is average about 30%. I checked temperature of my GPU and it is around 80 degrees cpu its completely fine sitting at around 50-60max.

I turned on PBO and didn't touched oc at all.

Also I just wonder if I will do clean windows installation will it change anything?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I'm not 100% sure but often I think GPUs don't stay at 100%. Your frames are below your frame cap, correct? You could try unlocking your frames and see what happens to GPU usage. Maybe try running 3dmark and see what your GPU usage does in there?

Okay so I tested my GPU usuage and in Warzone for example GPU is about 87% - 90% CPU is average about 30%. I checked temperature of my GPU and it is around 80 degrees cpu its completely fine sitting at around 50-60max.

I turned on PBO and didn't touched oc at all.

Also I just wonder if I will do clean windows installation will it change anything?
The GPU is more or less the bottleneck here, and it probably was before you upgraded the CPU. You're not really going to see a significant, if any, improvement with software fixes alone.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So the best way is yo upgrade GPU then. But what GPU will be good shot for my CPU without throwing away a few grands?
If I may ask, why do you want to upgrade your GPU so badly? The 2060 is still a pretty good GPU right now, perfectly capable of running just about any game at 1080p. If you are really set on buying a new GPU, then your processor should be powerful enough for just about any of them (maybe the 3090/3080 might introduce a tad bit of a bottleneck but a small one), but there is no way you're buying a good GPU for MSRP right now. Your only real hope would be to camp every single restock and try the Newegg raffle/lottery thingies.

Reactions: LiveIsCruel

LiveIsCruel

Reputable
May 25, 2017
If I may ask, why do you want to upgrade your GPU so badly? The 2060 is still a pretty good GPU right now, perfectly capable of running just about any game at 1080p. If you are really set on buying a new GPU, then your processor should be powerful enough for just about any of them (maybe the 3090/3080 might introduce a tad bit of a bottleneck but a small one), but there is no way you're buying a good GPU for MSRP right now. Your only real hope would be to camp every single restock and try the Newegg raffle/lottery thingies.
I just want to upgrade my pc. I will wait with upgrading GPU then. What do you thing about getting some decent memory like corsair vengeance or mobo for something different?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I think your mobo is lower end so you could upgrade if you wanted to. I really don't know why you would though, it wouldn't give you any improvements in gaming. I mean if you want to OC and need better VRMs then sure, but other than that there isn't much of a point. The mobo just dictates what parts you can use in your PC, its up to those parts to actually get the job done. Same goes for ram. Sure you'd get marginal gains in CPU performance and maybe you'd gain a few frames in some games but nothing noticeable. I'd suggest focusing on the GPU if you want a gaming-centric system and then choosing your other parts based on that. Right now upgrading any part of your PC other than your GPU will mostly be a waste of money and time, at least when considering only gaming performance.

Reactions: LiveIsCruel
Solution
Also my question is if should I upgrade mobo or ram to keep up with cpu?

A good B550 board and some fast 3600mhz c16 memory will breath some new life into your system.

I wouldn't upgrade a 2060 right now because of the ridiculous prices for a new GPU.

LiveIsCruel

Reputable
May 25, 2017
I think your mobo is lower end so you could upgrade if you wanted to. I really don't know why you would though, it wouldn't give you any improvements in gaming. I mean if you want to OC and need better VRMs then sure, but other than that there isn't much of a point. The mobo just dictates what parts you can use in your PC, its up to those parts to actually get the job done. Same goes for ram. Sure you'd get marginal gains in CPU performance and maybe you'd gain a few frames in some games but nothing noticeable. I'd suggest focusing on the GPU if you want a gaming-centric system and then choosing your other parts based on that. Right now upgrading any part of your PC other than your GPU will mostly be a waste of money and time, at least when considering only gaming performance.
Thank you for explenation, I will wait for lower prices on new rtx series

Reactions: Andrewbandrew05