[SOLVED] New CPU not allowing post

Nov 30, 2019
I currently have a Ryzen 1500x in my computer and I finally decided to update it to a 3800x. Iv already verified that my motherboard did support Ryzen 3rd Gen(With a bios update) and i verified that the chipset driver was correct (Installed the lastest x570 3 times) and everytime i remove my 1500x and install the 3700x my system turns on, Fans running 100% and any lights on the GPU and Board turn on. But it never goes thru to post itself. Is there something else i should update or check for?
I have tried removing GPU, Ram, and using on board graphics. Does not change anything.

Motherboard: Gigabyte ab350-Gaming Rev 1.0.0
Ram: 32GB Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6Gb

I hope this is in the right place. If not I apologize this is my first time posting on here.

Solution
Power off the computer and disconnect the power cord from PSU.
Press the power button for 20 seconds.
Remove the Ryzen 1500x , remove the CMOS battery from motherboard.
Wait a couple of minute then reinstalling CMOS battery.
Install the 3700x CPU, plug the power cord and press the power button.
The computer might turn on and off several times (3-7 times) and that could take up to 6 minutes...leave it alone.

Ralston18

Titan
Ryzen 3700X or 3800x? Typo somewhere...

In either case, reinstall the Ryzen 1500x.

However, as I read your post you have already done so ("everytime").

If the computer boots and all is well with the Ryzen 1500x then the new Ryzen 3800x ( or 3700x) is suspect.

RMA the CPU.

The computer might turn on and off several times (3-7 times) and that could take up to 6 minutes...leave it alone.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 30, 2019
Ryzen 3700X or 3800x? Typo somewhere...

In either case, reinstall the Ryzen 1500x.

However, as I read your post you have already done so ("everytime").

If the computer boots and all is well with the Ryzen 1500x then the new Ryzen 3800x ( or 3700x) is suspect.

RMA the CPU.
My bad. It is Ryzen 3700X. My main issue is determaining that if it truly is the CPU or just bad drivers on the Motherboard.

Nov 30, 2019
Does removing the battery clear the CMOS, If so then im more cautious about that because iv had to update the BIOS from the out the box cause its not a native x570 board. But if that isnt an issue then i can surly try at this point.

Nov 30, 2019
Did you install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 and then flash bios to F40 granted if bios version was already on F31?
So for a long time my Bios was F3, I couldn't figure out why @bios from gigabyte wouldn't fully update the BIOS. Finally i updated the Chipset driver and was able to update the BIOS. I'm now on BIOS f50a. I will mention that i tried on BIOS f40 (after updating to f31) and it didn't work. But i also installed the chipset driver before i updated to the newer BIOS. (From f40 to f50a) So currently on F50a BIOS i have reinstalled the Chipset driver again. I havnt reattempted the CPU as im trying to get as many possible solutions before starting again.

If it is of relevance my bios in order was f3-f31-f40-f50a with the same chipset driver being installed between f3-f31, and then again after f50a.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So for a long time my Bios was F3, I couldn't figure out why @bios from gigabyte wouldn't fully update the BIOS. Finally i updated the Chipset driver and was able to update the BIOS. I'm now on BIOS f50a. I will mention that i tried on BIOS f40 (after updating to f31) and it didn't work. But i also installed the chipset driver before i updated to the newer BIOS. (From f40 to f50a) So currently on F50a BIOS i have reinstalled the Chipset driver again. I havnt reattempted the CPU as im trying to get as many possible solutions before starting again.

If it is of relevance my bios in order was f3-f31-f40-f50a with the same chipset driver being installed between f3-f31, and then again after f50a.

Chipset driver shouldn't have anything to do with updating bios afaik. Update problems was probably because EC FW Update Tool wasn't updated as per instructions on Gigabyte's bios support page.

Always use Qflash in the bios to update, don't do it in Windows.

Your board has Dualbios, just checking which one is running. If main bios failed, the backup bios automatically activates. The bios chips are just above the pcie slot. M_bios (M for main) and B_bios (B for backup). I couldn't see properly if there's an led on the bios chip itself to determine which one is running. Have a look and see if there's a lit led on one of them.

Nov 30, 2019
Chipset driver shouldn't have anything to do with updating bios afaik. Update problems was probably because EC FW Update Tool wasn't updated as per instructions on Gigabyte's bios support page.

Always use Qflash in the bios to update, don't do it in Windows.

Your board has Dualbios, just checking which one is running. If main bios failed, the backup bios automatically activates. The bios chips are just above the pcie slot. M_bios (M for main) and B_bios (B for backup). I couldn't see properly if there's an led on the bios chip itself to determine which one is running. Have a look and see if there's a lit led on one of them.
I checked in the BIOS prior to my last boot and it was running F50A. And in windows with CPUZ it shows F50A as well.

Nov 30, 2019
Ok fair enough. Try clear cmos as suggested so cmos parameters are reset.

Try boot with 1 stick of ram in A2 slot (second dimm slot from cpu)

Fyi, motherboard video ports only work with igpu cpus, ie 2200g etc.
Alright. I will try. Thank you.
And thanks to everyone else as well!

Nov 30, 2019
Huge thank you to everyone that answered my question!
I did as @jojesa suggested and it worked perfectly. Got a little worried when my GPU didn't default to 1080P but it is all up and running now!

Huge thank you to everyone that answered my question!
I did as @jojesa suggested and it worked perfectly. Got a little worried when my GPU didn't default to 1080P but it is all up and running now!
Glad it worked for you.
It happen to me the first, second, third and fourth time with different boards.
The first time it happen I though something was wrong,...but after trying those steps it worked on all systems.