[SOLVED] New CPU, old PSU...

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
So I am upgrading my motherboard, CPU, GPU, and ram. And I know I will probably need a new power supply if I jam all of those in. But I only have the CPU and motherboard so far.. And I'm wondering if I can run it on my 550 watt psu. Ofcourse when I get the ram and gpu, I am going to upgrade the psu. But Im just wondering if I am fine with the PSU I have when i just upgrade the cpu and motherboard..

Heres what I got right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/khDsvf

Heres the finished build If I get my GPU and ram: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7PCPvf

Solution
That PSU is ok for what you have now. Not a problem at all. Any halfway decent 450-500w unit would be plenty for most systems with a GTX 1060.

It's PROBABLY borderline ok even with the 3060 ti, but a higher quality 650w unit would make me, and your hardware, a lot more comfortable. And will likely be a lot quieter too.

That PSU is ok for what you have now. Not a problem at all. Any halfway decent 450-500w unit would be plenty for most systems with a GTX 1060.

It's PROBABLY borderline ok even with the 3060 ti, but a higher quality 650w unit would make me, and your hardware, a lot more comfortable. And will likely be a lot quieter too.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

littlepaulio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
I would definitely not risk thousands of dollars by skimping on the power supply. They're relatively inexpensive by the price of your other components either. Does your current PSU have PCIE connectors to allow you to directly connect your PSU to the your GC. It'll save you having to buy an adaptor. From Platinum up, you're also getting virtually no fan noise. I won't name any brands, but I reckon there's two or three you can't go wrong with.

I would definitely not risk thousands of dollars by skimping on the power supply. They're relatively inexpensive by the price of your other components either. Does your current PSU have PCIE connectors to allow you to directly connect your PSU to the your GC. It'll save you having to buy an adaptor. From Platinum up, you're also getting virtually no fan noise. I won't name any brands, but I reckon there's two or three you can't go wrong with.

What risk are you referring to?

The unit he has now (CX550 - 2017 model) is perfectly fine for the hardware he's currently using. And as I said, it's PROBABLY fine even with the 3060 ti since Nvidia recommends a 600w unit, but that is assuming the use of a poor or mediocre quality model, which that CX really isn't. It's not a terrific unit either, but it's certainly not dangerous, obviously problematic or a fire hazard either. I see no reason why it's not fine for use with the current hardware. If you do, then please present your evidence as to why you think that is.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
What risk are you referring to?

The unit he has now (CX550 - 2017 model) is perfectly fine for the hardware he's currently using. And as I said, it's PROBABLY fine even with the 3060 ti since Nvidia recommends a 600w unit, but that is assuming the use of a poor or mediocre quality model, which that CX really isn't. It's not a terrific unit either, but it's certainly not dangerous, obviously problematic or a fire hazard either. I see no reason why it's not fine for use with the current hardware. If you do, then please present your evidence as to why you think that is.
Also, just to save me some time, do you know if the ram on the b550 is 1st and 3rd slot or 2nd and 4th for me?

The memory population rules for ALL consumer dual channel aftermarket motherboards released in the last at least ten years, probably more like fifteen years, is ALWAYS the 2nd and 4th slots, for every aftermarket consumer dual channel motherboard with four DIMM slots.

There have been a few OEM style motherboards that are proprietary, from manufacturers like Dell or HP, that have had different population rules on a couple of Foxconn and similar OEM boards, but basically 99.99% of dual channel motherboards are always the 2nd and 4th slot, with the 2nd slot over from the CPU being the slot designated for single module use except for the last maybe two gens of ASUS boards where they want single DIMMs in the outer slot, but it is STILL the 2nd and 4th slot for two DIMMs even then.