WrathofGod

Honorable
May 27, 2016
Hi, as the title says, I'm trying to figure out which to upgrade. My system is currently:
Ryzen 3 1300x
ASUS STRIX OC RX 570 (4gb)
ASUS B350M-E Motherboard
16gb DDR4 3000mhz RAM
1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
120GB Team Group SSD Drive

I game (mainly Overwatch atm) and do a bit of gfx/video editing, and I play on 1080p resolution. I plan on upgrading to a 144hz monitor, most likely a 1080p 144hz one.

Side note: I just ordered the memory and SSD drive, so I don't know how well they perform/impact my system.

Solution
An SSD will not affect performance but will help load times. Memory would but if you have 16GB already it wont change much. For Ryzen you typically want to start around DDR4 3200 as its performance will be helped by memory.

As for your setup, honestly both would help. The CPU though at 1080p shouldn't bottleneck as much as the GPU would. 4GB of VRAM is a pretty tight squeeze for 1080p although you should be running at decent frames. I would go GPU first then CPU.
An SSD will not affect performance but will help load times. Memory would but if you have 16GB already it wont change much. For Ryzen you typically want to start around DDR4 3200 as its performance will be helped by memory.

As for your setup, honestly both would help. The CPU though at 1080p shouldn't bottleneck as much as the GPU would. 4GB of VRAM is a pretty tight squeeze for 1080p although you should be running at decent frames. I would go GPU first then CPU.

Solution

WrathofGod

Honorable
May 27, 2016

Ok, thanks! I'll upgrade my gpu then, especially since I just remembered AMD is coming out with new cpus in the summer (most likely).