Question is it worth getting a new cpu?

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
i have an i3 4170 currently and im planing to get an i5 4590 i found for about 65 dollars, is it beneficial at all? should i do it?

What motherboard do you have? You need a Z series motherboard to be able to overclock. You also want a better cpu cooler if you go the overclocking route.

However what are you aiming for? Even a 4670k/4690k will struggle with 60fps in some modern cpu heavy games, regardless of gpu choice. Personally I find it hard to recommend investing any money in such obsolete hardware, chances are you will soon find yourself needing to upgrade again and you’ve just wasted money when you could have been saving for a modern platform.

I have a 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz and it struggles in many modern games.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
What motherboard do you have? You need a Z series motherboard to be able to overclock. You also want a better cpu cooler if you go the overclocking route.

However what are you aiming for? Even a 4670k/4690k will struggle with 60fps in some modern cpu heavy games, regardless of gpu choice. Personally I find it hard to recommend investing any money in such obsolete hardware, chances are you will soon find yourself needing to upgrade again and you’ve just wasted money when you could have been saving for a modern platform.

I have a 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz and it struggles in many modern games.
well i mostly play single player games like: batman arkham knight, tomb raider games, and am planning to play red dead redemption 2 when it comes out on pc so i reckon its time to upgrade for red dead redemption 2, and id like to get an i5 4590 ONLY cause i want to get a gtx 1060, cause i know the i3 would most likely bottleneck it

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
well i mostly play single player games like: batman arkham knight, tomb raider games, and am planning to play red dead redemption 2 when it comes out on pc so i reckon its time to upgrade for red dead redemption 2, and id like to get an i5 4590 ONLY cause i want to get a gtx 1060, cause i know the i3 would most likely bottleneck it
Red dead wouldn't run on that i3 at all

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

I doubt you will be satisfied with a 4590, it’s going to struggle. The term bottleneck is often misused. Another way of thinking about it is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve in a game, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. A 4590 is going to struggle to give 60fps (IMO acceptable) regardless of your gpu choice.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
I doubt you will be satisfied with a 4590, it’s going to struggle. The term bottleneck is often misused. Another way of thinking about it is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve in a game, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. A 4590 is going to struggle to give 60fps (IMO acceptable) regardless of your gpu choice.
if i was satisfied with an i3 4170 for all these years i think if i (for instance) get no more slowdowns in batman arkham knight and can play rdr 2 i will be very happy, but i just wanna know if thats how it will be

What's the exact motherboard you have?? You may be able to check the CPU support list to see if it supports XEON processors, which it should.

You could buy the XEON E3-1271 v3, which boosts up to 4.0ghz as opposed to the 3.7ghz of the 4590. It also has 4 cores and 8 threads, so it's actually an i7.

Just make sure you update your motherboard to the newest bios before installing.

Reactions: sizzling
if i was satisfied with an i3 4170 for all these years i think if i (for instance) get no more slowdowns in batman arkham knight and can play rdr 2 i will be very happy, but i just wanna know if thats how it will be
The 4590 is not a big upgrade and both CPU’s are 4 threads running at similar speed. You are going from a 2 core with hyperthreading which has 4 threads to a 4 core with no hyperthreading which therefore has 4 threads. While it is definitely better to have 4 real cores I think the boost will be underwhelming.

It is up to you but my vote is it is not worth the cost.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
The 4590 is not a big upgrade and both CPU’s are 4 threads running at similar speed. You are going from a 2 core with hyperthreading which has 4 threads to a 4 core with no hyperthreading which therefore has 4 threads. While it is definitely better to have 4 real cores I think the boost will be underwhelming.

It is up to you but my vote is it is not worth the cost.
so it isn't much of a difference? and what if i wanna upgrade to say a gtx 1060 or rx 570, should i stick with what i have or buy the i5 4590? i currently have a gtx 1050 ti and i am not sure if there will be any difference at all if i'd buy a 1060 or 570 cause of the i3

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
i currently have an i3 4170 paired with a 1050 ti and am planning either to upgrade the processor to an i5 4590 or buying more ram since i heard more ram is better for cpu when gaming, what should i buy?

so it isn't much of a difference? and what if i wanna upgrade to say a gtx 1060 or rx 570, should i stick with what i have or buy the i5 4590? i currently have a gtx 1050 ti and i am not sure if there will be any difference at all if i'd buy a 1060 or 570 cause of the i3
Try dropping game settings/resolution as a test. If your FPS stay similar you are cpu limited by your i3 and upgrading your gpu won’t give any improvement in FPS, just an increase in detail settings you can choose.

Another way of looking at it. Let’s say you average 50fps with your i3. If the i5 gave you a 10%-20% improvement the max benefit you will see is 55-60fps.

The 4590 is about 41% faster than the 4170 based on passmark scores. Having real cores does help, but it's not like you're going to double the performance.

4 threads is definitely not enough for some of the newest titles, you'll see some bottlenecks during certain situations. Many titles want 6 threads now, even with mid-range graphics. If your motherboard supports it, I'd suggest you get the 4 core 8 thread XEON.

You can get the E3-1245 v3, they're going for like $80 on ebay. 3.4ghz base and 3.8ghz boost, still higher than the 4590.

Just figure out what motherboard your have and we can see if it supports XEON.

Also, make sure you have an aftermarket cooler, bot the 4590 and xeon dissapates 84w tdp. Higher than the core i3.