New CPU or New Motherboard?

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I am looking to, hopefully, get a better CPU than the current Athlon II X2 250 Processor I currently have. And if it has to be done, I'll upgrade my mobo so I can handle something better.

So my system, I have a Dell Insprion 570 and I have upgraded it with a Corsair CX600 Builder Series and I just got a HD Radeon 7850. Playing the few games I have on the highest settings was amazing, but then I tried BF3, and I thought that UI would be able to play at least at Medium at full resolution(1600x900 native) but that wasn't going to happen. I immediately thought that is was my CPU, as listed above, that was bottlenecking it.

I want to know if I should get a Phenom II X4 970 CPU (because my mobo is AM3) and if that would be a good CPU to go with the 7850. But the other option, which I'm not looking forward to doing if I have to it to get a new Motherboard. So if I were to get a new motherboard I would need it to be compatible with my current PSU and my current GPU and, I don't know for sure but, I think my current mobo is a Micro-ATX.

CPU-Z Mainboard Picture

CPU-Z CPU Picture

If you need any other information about my build please ask.

Thanks.

Solution
A new MB would be compatible with your current CPU and offer you better upgrade options down the road.

I would honestly spend the money on a 990 series MB and drop in your current CPU, then go to a good FX series CPU or steamroller CPU when you get to that point.

8350rocks

Distinguished
A new MB would be compatible with your current CPU and offer you better upgrade options down the road.

I would honestly spend the money on a 990 series MB and drop in your current CPU, then go to a good FX series CPU or steamroller CPU when you get to that point.

Solution

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Can you link any motherboards that are good choices but arent over $150? Preferably mobos that can handle the ATX12V PSU I have and the 7850?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Google these 3 and see which one you like the features of best:

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
ASRock 990FX Extreme4

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks and I have another question, if I but one of these motherboards and put my athlon II X2 processor in it will the heatsink for that be compatible for the motherboards?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Should be...whether it's factory or aftermarket, it should be fine.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Either one would be fine, if you go with the 8320, it would probably leave you some money for other things...if you can get the 8350 cheap enough, then go that route. Both would be great for you.