whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I've just built a new pc.

Mobo: Biostar GF8100 M2 + TE (Micro ATX)

CPU: AMD Dual Core 6000+ 3Ghz

RAM: 4GB Kingston 800mhz

Power Supply: 450w

HDD: IDE Western Digital 80Gb

Lite On 22x Super Write All Sata Drive

Intergrated 8100 GFX on the motherboard (at present)

2 front panel USB's connected to the mainboard too.

I've tried booting up the PC. It comes on and starts loading up fine but then after one screen of the BIOS I get the message "The max power of the CPU is over 95w, prepare for shutdown" and it then proceeds to shutdown after a countdown.

Any ideas what is causing the problem?

Thanks for any help.

jj555298

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Your mobo only supports CPU's up to 95watts, the product page on biostar's website claims Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) : 95Watt. That athlon x2 6000+ eats about 125 watts, which is a problem considering your board. Best thing to do is send back the CPU for a refund if you can and pick another with a power requirement of less than 95w. You might actually be better off finding a different mobo though, it's up to you whatever is easiest to do.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks alot for the replies guys.

I think I'll get a new mobo.

I will contact the company who sold me it as a package though as it was advertised as a "build package" so to sell a mobo + cpu in a bundle where they're not compatible is not on. :(

I'll try and get them to sort me out a new mobo or I'll kick up a stink for them.

I take it you don't rate the mobo anyway? lol

Thanks again. :)

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Ah, thanks Sanchz. Maybe they were supposed to have the bundle with a 3.1 with the right CPU wattage rather than what they sent me.

It's either that or they're just trying to rip people off.

I hope it's the first.

Thanks. I'll try and get them to replace my CPU with the 3.1 6000+.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I take it the 6000+ 3.1ghz at 89watt is a better CPU as it's faster and more economical?

Do you think I should ask them to replace it with one of those?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Both cpu's perform about the same. The 125W one has 2mb cache, is 3.0ghz, and 90nm . The 89W one is 3.1ghz, and has only 1mb cache, and is 65nm. The faster clock speed makes up for the less cache. If I were to ask them to replace either the mb or cpu, I'd replace the cpu. It'll use less power and will run cooler.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
The 6000+ 3.1 GHz CPU has Brisbane core (65nm) as opposed to the 3.0 GHz which is Windsor (90nm) and has a 125w TDP. The +100MHz difference is mostly to make it easy to tell it is the Brisbane version. I dont' think it's faster in any noticeable way, but it should run cooler and consume less power. I think you should contact the company that sold you the bundle and request them to replace the CPU or the motherboard, as they are not compatible.
If you had to replace the CPU, I'd say you should get the 7750+ (more overclockable, more cache, newer architecture) and you could overclock it to 3 GHz.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the information and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

I've already mailed them asking for them to replace one or the other.

I'll see how they respond and ask them for the 7750+ if they give me some input on how the problem's resolved.

Fingers crossed they don't act like jerks.

It's my first time dealing with this company but their feedback was really good on ebay so fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

All your knowledge has been a lifesaver. :)

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
He's not going to be overclocking with that motherboard. Reason is, the 7750+ already has a tdp of 95W. Overclocking pushes the power consumption even higher.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Oh, I forgot about that. Yet the 7750 is equal and even better that the 6000+ at most benchmarks even though it's clocked at 2.7GHz.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks.

I'm not too fussed wether I can overclock so it's not a major problem to me.

I was just after a system that will let me play some games at a decent speed for a bit.

I'll prob upgrade to a phenom later on.

PS. I'll be buying a Radeon 4870 next month and possibly a new PSU.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I'm currently on an athlon 5200+ 2.7 GHz, and a Geforce 8600 Gt. I'm very satisfied with it as it performs very well on games (at 1024*768). I just may upgrade as I need to, but I don't wan to spend tons of money for a quad core and new mobo (asus did not provide support for Phenom II on my mobo) because I don't need it (well, perhaps GTA 4 would run a smoother). But I would like to upgrade the vid card sometime. Lol, I was gaming on a Athlon XP 1.2 GHz till last year!!!

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
lmao

I'm in a really similar position to what you were Sanchz. I had a Sempron 2600 which I think runs at a similar speed to yours and a 6600GT GFX card.

I didn't want to spend tons of money either. Just enough to play most games for a while and then keep on upgrading in the same price bracket when I need to.

I figured a 6000+ with a Radeon 4870 would be a pretty good cost\performance solution so that's what I went for.

It was a bit gutting to spend a few hours setting it up for it not to work but hopefully they'll sort it out ok.

Sounds like we'll have pretty similar specs once I've got mine sorted and you've upgraded your card.

Thanks for all the help mate.

I'll post when I get a reply from the company.

Hopefully it's a positive one.

Fingers crossed.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Just out of interest here is a video of what happened when I fired up the system.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7_HTJFUTxc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7_HTJFUTxc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I got a quick response back from them. I explained it fully and they send to send back the mobo, CPU with memory and heatsink all assembled. I've got it boxed up and ready to go on Monday.

Apparently they don't stock the CPU they've sent me so it looks like their supplier has mucked up.

We'll see what happens.

Fingers crossed.

G

i had the same problem with the intel version of this board.i tried to use a P4 3.4 and got that message.I put in a spare 2.93 celeron and it fixed the problem.