[SOLVED] New CPU Problems

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
Recently upgraded my CPU, went from a Xeon X5650 to an I7 9700K.
Got this, compatible memory, a new PSU, and transferred my hard drive and video card over: https://www.newegg.com/abs-forge-al...onsive-US-_-index-_-product-link-_-83-102-921

After an unreasonable amount of hassle, I got everything up and running. Installed a new copy of Windows, downloaded everything again, all that.
Problem is that the temperatures seem much too high. The CPU is idling at about 40C, and I ran a game for about 2 or 3 minutes, during which it got up to 80C.

I've already been into BIOS and changed the profile of the fan speeds to be a bit higher. Shaved about 1 or 2 degrees off of that, which isn't really enough...

But more than that, there's a sort of grinding noise coming from the CPU somehow. It's watercooled, so there aren't any fans near it, so I've got no idea how or why.
But there is a buzzing/grinding noise coming from right around there.

At first I thought it was coil whine from my video card, at high framerates in game it gets coil whine... but I enabled Vsync, and the noise still persists.
So, any ideas what's going on?

I haven't actually checked yet... but I would assume they put thermal paste on the processor before they sent it over.
Other than that though, I can't think of why it would be getting that hot.

Solution
The cooler I've got is called the 'GAMDIAS CHIONE M1A 240R 240mm RGB All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler'
https://www.newegg.com/gamdias-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835099003

I've tried getting a good video of the noise, but it's only barely audible to the ear--It gets almost completely washed out by the fans in trying to record it.

Edit: Maybe an ignorant question, but I haven't had many liquid cooled parts in the past.
Every 5 or so minutes there's a strange squish noise that comes from it... is that supposed to happen? :/
I've had my video card (GTX 970) for years now, and it's liquid cooled... never noticed it doing that.
That's definitely a pump problem. Im not familiar with that cooler at all but if you can i...

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
sounds like it may be a bad pump for the CPU cooler.
what type are you using?

post a video of the noise, also showing the cooler.
The cooler I've got is called the 'GAMDIAS CHIONE M1A 240R 240mm RGB All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler'

I've tried getting a good video of the noise, but it's only barely audible to the ear--It gets almost completely washed out by the fans in trying to record it.

Edit: Maybe an ignorant question, but I haven't had many liquid cooled parts in the past.
Every 5 or so minutes there's a strange squish noise that comes from it... is that supposed to happen? :/
I've had my video card (GTX 970) for years now, and it's liquid cooled... never noticed it doing that.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020

That's definitely a pump problem. Im not familiar with that cooler at all but if you can i return it and get a more reputable one(Corsair, NZXT, etc....)

Reactions: Smausage
Solution

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
That's definitely a pump problem. Im not familiar with that cooler at all but if you can i return it and get a more reputable one(Corsair, NZXT, etc....)
To return it I'd have had to send back the whole thing--mobo, case, cpu... didn't want to do that.

Took a few tries to find one that would work--kept running into issues with not having all the right connections, but eventually I got to one that worked.
Was the NZXT Kraken, I think. Only the single fan one, was hoping for a dual fan... but it still works just fine.

Running a fairly taxing game, the highest I've seen it get was 70C, usually sitting closer to around 65C.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020
To return it I'd have had to send back the whole thing--mobo, case, cpu... didn't want to do that.

Took a few tries to find one that would work--kept running into issues with not having all the right connections, but eventually I got top one that worked.
Was the NZXT Kraken, I think. Only the single fan one, was hoping for a dual fan... but it still works just fine.

Running a fairly taxing game, the highest I've seen it get was 70C, usually sitting closer to around 65C.
I dont see why you have to return all that just for a new cooler.

Took a few tries to find one that would work--kept running into issues with not having all the right connections, but eventually I got to one that worked.

for some of the best All-In-One coolers out there, all you would need is a fan port and a USB header.
what exactly do you mean by, "not having all the right connections"?

your temps aren't terrible but you may want to try setting up this one you got in a push/pull dual fan setup;
one fan pushing air through the radiator and one fan pulling air out from the opposite side. when setup correctly, usually leads to at least a few ° drop in temps.