Question New CPU Ryzen 5 5600 has high temps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2023
Hi!

So i just upgraded my GPU and CPU, i have 3060Ti Palit and Amd Ryzen 5 5600.

My GPU temps are normal for GPU under load like 75-78 degrees.

But my CPU temps have me worried, while playing games (Escape from tarkov) i have a CPU temp around 83 had to boost my fans and got around 78-80 . On desktop temps are around 45 . Temp measured with A-Tuning from Asrock.

So i never had problems before with my ryzen 5 3600 and 1060 Gtx. When playing CPU temp was 75 Max, mostly under 70. And that without boosting my fans like i did now.

Specs:
B450M Steel legend.
Ryzen 5 5600
3060Ti
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7x
Case: Aerocool Rift.
Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4 2019

My thought is, that is because of the GPU heat going directly to my CPU Cooler, because my new GPU has holes at the end so the heat can escape, but it goes directly to CPU Cooler.
I've tried to paint it:
View: https://imgur.com/a/jewAqvH
(Green: GPU, Blue: Case Fans, Brown: CPU Cooler)

Can it be the issue? But if yes i can't really do anything about it? I mean almost all new GPUs have this and i can't do much to change it?

I know my case is not that good for airflow but i didn't have problems on my old setup, even though my gpu was running 83 degrees in games.

EDIT: Only thing that changed is that i dont have one exhaust fan at the top, but one more for intake at the bottom.

I've tried to paint it
why not just add an actual image of the interior of the system with overlayed arrows?
this scrawl does not show real-life representation of positioning, size, layout, etc.

you also don't include make/model of included fans.
very possible that they just don't move much air and are leaving much heat static in the case.
GPU temps are normal...like 75-78 degrees
definitely not what i would consider "normal".
anything high 60s°C + is considered very warm to me.

i would be aiming for low 60s max for both CPU & GPU.

definitely not what i would consider "normal".
anything high 60s°C + is considered very warm to me.

To you, maybe. But high 60s is not overly warm. Most consider over 80c to be the kind of warm you seem to be describing.

The OP's temps are fine and within spec. As advised above, a better cooler will get nearer to cooler temperatures, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

To you, maybe. But high 60s is not overly warm. Most consider over 80c to be the kind of warm
i never mentioned anything remotely dangerous to hardware or anything that may cause throttling.
the "kind of warm" i am describing is anything that overly affects the surrounding area of the system.

maybe you guys like sitting next to little space heaters but mine and the systems i provide for others are designed to be a piece to enjoy in comfort, not to be a sweatbox.

KyaraM

Admirable
i never mentioned anything remotely dangerous to hardware or anything that may cause throttling.
the "kind of warm" i am describing is anything that overly affects the surrounding area of the system.

maybe you guys like sitting next to little space heaters but mine and the systems i provide for others are designed to be a piece to enjoy in comfort, not to be a sweatbox.
Except it doesn't work how you think it does...

Reactions: John Chesterfield

You seem to have taken my comments as some kind of personal attack. Remember that this is a public forum and as such people will respond to comments you make, especially those which may make the OP go out and unnecessarily spend money when they don't have to. That is all.

You can respectfully disagree if you want, but how you measure 'warm' and how others do appear to be completely different. Like I say, no need for the OP to spend money to rectify something that is within spec UNLESS they desire even cooler temperatures.

Elezondo

Commendable
Nov 19, 2021

What? this is horribly misleading. The temperature of a CPU or GPU has no relation to how much heat a computer is dumping into a room. For the same cpu running at a fixed load, different temperatures are an indication of how efficient the cooling solution is, not how much energy is being converted into heat.

Feb 15, 2023
I mean, its just new components and it would be nice to have them under 80 degrees when gaming. I will invest in better case anyway and hope it will get better.

BUT the most thing im concerned about is that is like 15 degrees more than my last Ryzen 5 3600, even though its only like 15% faster and have actually same TDP. Recently i had problems installing chipset drivers again, now i tried to reinstall them and again an error occured even though at the end it said that drivers were installed succesfully. Im just afraid its like a driver problem or smthng.

Especially when CPU is running high speed even when on desktop and have power saving mode on, on my old cpu if i used power saving mode the cpu clock speed went down to like 2,8-3,2

Now it is running pretty high speed on desktop like 3,8-4,2, regardless of which power mode, its the same nothing changes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
BUT the most thing im concerned about is that is like 15 degrees more than my last Ryzen 5 3600, even though ... same TDP.
Keyword: Thermal density. It plays a major role in that.
Ryzen 5000 is created on a smaller process node. The power efficiency improves, but the hottest spots end up focused in smaller areas. These smaller zones are harder to cool effectively compared to larger ones.

I mean, its just new components and it would be nice to have them under 80 degrees when gaming. I will invest in better case anyway and hope it will get better.

BUT the most thing im concerned about is that is like 15 degrees more than my last Ryzen 5 3600, even though its only like 15% faster and have actually same TDP. Recently i had problems installing chipset drivers again, now i tried to reinstall them and again an error occured even though at the end it said that drivers were installed succesfully. Im just afraid its like a driver problem or smthng.

Especially when CPU is running high speed even when on desktop and have power saving mode on, on my old cpu if i used power saving mode the cpu clock speed went down to like 2,8-3,2

Now it is running pretty high speed on desktop like 3,8-4,2, regardless of which power mode, its the same nothing changes

As @Phaaze88 said, the density of the chip plays a part too. But a new case with good airflow is a good idea. Set it up with 2 or 3 front intake fans and a couple of exhausts out the back. Don't bother with exhausting out of the top, that actually can reduce good airflow and create a sort of stationary air situation, you need it to flow.

This chip also runs at high speed on the desktop but remember, that's only the fastest core. Might only be one or two boosting to that level, best to install something like HWInfo to see what the rest are doing.

As for your chipset driver issue, did you get all new components and if so, did you perform a clean install of Windows with the new hardware?

Feb 15, 2023
No, but actually i just did it now coz i was done my pc was crazy. Now i will try with fresh install and see what changes. BUT the important thing it, do i let windows install drivers first(includes chipset) and then try to install chipset drivers from amd or just install amd chipset drivers first, but then im at the risk that the windows update will override them?

No, but actually i just did it now coz i was done my pc was crazy. Now i will try with fresh install and see what changes. BUT the important thing it, do i let windows install drivers first(includes chipset) and then try to install chipset drivers from amd or just install amd chipset drivers first, but then im at the risk that the windows update will override them?

New motherboard = clean Windows install

Disable Windows driver updating then install the chipset drivers. You are getting the error because there are remnants of old drivers and registry entries on the system.

As @USAFRet always says and he is correct in this, one of 3 things will happen when you don't reinstall Windows when changing platform:

It'll work
It won't work
It'll work, but you'll spend months chasing weird issues

Looks like you've experienced option 3. You may also find your temps do lower a little too as Windows won't be searching for drivers and reg entries that aren't there.

Reactions: KyaraM
Status
Not open for further replies.