Question New CPU (s) don't work

delijestefan

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hi, this might be a long read but I genuinely have no idea what the problem is and I've searched 20+ hours trying to find a solution (not including the hours I spent trying to apply these solutions.

This was my system at the beginning;
CORE i3 530
r9 285 2gb
1tb HDD
ASUS P7H55-M
8GB(2x4) 1333mhz ram
CORSAIR VS450W PSU

To begin I wanted to upgrade my cpu to an i7 870 (Asus website says its compatible). So I bought one off eBay and upon installing it didn't work. This lead me to spending countless hours on why it doesn't work. What happens is I turn it on - all the fans come on, all the lights come on, no beep (s) and nothing boots.
This is everything summed up - I tried everything BIOS updates, more thermal paste, less thermal paste, got a second i7 870 sent to use (thought the original was broken), disconnecting everything that wasn't needed, running with cpu cooler, running without cpu cooler, jumping the mobo, CMOS reset - however it booted when I put the i3 530 back in every time. Side note - I broke a 4gb ram stick in the process so not happy about that.

So after searching I couldn't find 1 post or video where someone had a p7h55-m (not pro, le, lx etc) and used an i7 870 apart from one other guy who couldn't get it to work. So I got a new motherboard - p7h55-d (which came preinstalled with an i5 760) which had several people online with the same configuration so I thought it would work (both 870 and 760) - turns out it doesn't (I tried everything I mentioned previously). But now when I put the i3 530 back in the PC either is stuck on the ASUS splash screen or goes into BSD but I can fix that on my own if I get the i7 870 to work. All I want to know is why do both motherboards work with the i3 530 but not with the i7 870 and i5 760, even though the guy I bought off plus every other person online can make it work.

All cables are connected - the CPU connector, the ATX connector etc - trust me everything has been checked what feels like 1000 times now.

Thank you for reading.

your PSU might not have sufficient headroom for the CPU and GPU...see if you can get a display from integrated graphics with no GPU installed at all if that is an option with your MB...

Additionally, with a new CPU installed, you might need to remove power completely, and, clear/reset CMOS...(many mainboards' BIOS can be confused with new CPU swaps...) Either a momentary switch or jumper installed for a few seconds is used to accomplish this

delijestefan

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
your PSU might not have sufficient headroom for the CPU and GPU...see if you can get a display from integrated graphics with no GPU installed at all if that is an option with your MB...

Additionally, with a new CPU installed, you might need to remove power completely, and, clear/reset CMOS...(many mainboards' BIOS can be confused with new CPU swaps...) Either a momentary switch or jumper installed for a few seconds is used to accomplish this

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I used an old 7750 (doesn't use 6 pin) and integrated GPU for all 3 cpu (s) and only the i3 530 booted up with all. I understand the power issue but why didn't it boot with the newer mobo I bought as it was preinstalled with the i5 760 meaning it worked beforehand.