New CPU sealed box with really faint print on the lid. Does this happen or has it been used?

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
I haven't found much on this but interested. Also its consistently faint so its not patchy faint in places.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really faint print on the IHS? If it's truly a "new" CPU, then you're also looking through a layer of plastic, which may make it appear more faint than it actually is.

There's really no way of knowing if a CPU has been used - outside of surface scratches or hints of thermal paste still applied.

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
The Intel sticker peels of really easily and reseals and looks untouched. I just opened the case and noticed a black dot on the lid near the edge. I gentle ran my finger nail over it and its not a nick but a mark. My question now is am I safe to install this or make enquiries? thanks for all the help. Heres a picture of my cpu.

https://ibb.co/f6PuQG

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Ok so I contacted Intel and they said contact the seller if its before 30 days ... im not sure how long its been as it went to a p.o box address and wasnt collected for over a week and its been in the box waiting for me to build nearer Christmas as its a build for my kid ..... wont look good that the box is ripped up from my toddler but he did not open the plastic case or even get a chance to touch it ... i taped the box back up and its all still readable .... any clues where I stand? intel said if it doesnt work they will replace but i didnt tell them about the box! kinda worried as I would not be able to buy another.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I think you're over-thinking this. Was the CPU sold "new" to you? Was it a reputable seller? NewEgg etc?
If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Intel will only assist if you bought from an authorized distributor AFAIK and, if you did - there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

i'd think you'd see more sign than just faded ink - ie wrinkled cellophane wrapping etc,
plus in case you're not aware, all inks fade with exposure to light - the ink on the box probably has a high content of what's referred to UV Absorbers, but doubtful they would have used any in the ink on the CPU - without it, ink fades fairly quickly, but the CPU isn't intended for use in an environment where it's going to see a lot of light

you can install it and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html to confirm it's good

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Ralph you made a good point it wasn't in cellophane. Intel said from my photo that the black dot looks like damage and would replace if it didnt work. I'm still within 30 days from Ebay so I'm sending it back. Sold as brand new in box from ebay. I dont even want an exchange i'll get a refund and buy from elsewhere if thats possible. I'm more concerned about this black dot that I found today. Ebay where pretty good and reassured me even with the torn box that I would be ok. Thanks for all the help.

evay is trying to emulate amazon's business model ie in the way of protecting buyers, to the point they're letting buyers screw the crap out of sellers - a buddy sold a $3500 vintage watch, buyer got it, took it apart and kept the dial and hands, and sent it back telling evay/paypal that all he received was a box of parts.

in this case you'll be safe but watch out being a seller there

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
omg that terrible. Ive heard some pretty bad stories and the seller loses out. I'm not sure what to do would you be fussy about a black mark? I really dont want to use it unless its to keep it as I dont want to ruin their chance to sell it on as new to someone not so fussy.

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks Ralph my pal said id be wrong to send it back to seller (hes a seller himself and has had many people say item fell out off packaging etc and has been at times royally screwed by vbay :) ) SO its now installed!!! now just working out this jungle of cables and will continue tonight when I get some peace. Will report back if it all works or if ive royally screwed it up lol.

once installed, there's an intell utility, Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html )

download and run it - it'll take a few minutes to run but will show a number of tests indicating either failed or passed. If you get a Fail, repeat the tests a few times to make sure, and i'd return it for sure then. If it passes, all's good

Solution