New CPU so new thermal paste??

Mar 4, 2018
So here’s the problem, I have a water cooling “fan” for my cpu cooler. It’s the h60 Corsair. It came with pre applied thermal paste. So I bought a new processor that’s coming in tomorrow. Should I remove the thermal paste from the water cooling unit since it’ll be old? Or should I not worry about it and just put thermal paste on the cpu and have them both like that?

Solution

get a small paper towel or a cotton ball and make it wet with isopropyl alcohol, then use that to rub of the thermal paste, then get something good like I C Diamond or Thermal Grizzly for your new paste. One your ready to reapply put a pea sized dot in the center of your CPU heat spreader and put on the cooler, if you have a system using a large LGA socket or a server CPU like a large Xeon or Threadripper your going to want to add more.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

get a small paper towel or a cotton ball and make it wet with isopropyl alcohol, then use that to rub of the thermal paste, then get something good like I C Diamond or Thermal Grizzly for your new paste. One your ready to reapply put a pea sized dot in the center of your CPU heat spreader and put on the cooler, if you have a system using a large LGA socket or a server CPU like a large Xeon or Threadripper your going to want to add more.

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It sounds like its old thermal paste so you may have to work at it a bit to get it off but make sure you get it all off.