Question New CPU, system shut down and won’t display

May 4, 2021
Hey all,
yesterday, I upgraded my ryzen 7 2700x to a ryzen 5 5600x. I updated the bios to the current version that supported 5000 series. And everything worked fine for about 30 minutes and then my display shut off but my PC was still on, fans and lights displaying in the case. Now when I try to turn my PC on, my gpu fans spin at 100% and everything turns on but there is no display whatsoever. Typically, my fans will spin at 100% for about 3-5 seconds upon startup and then they slow down as my system starts up. I feel like there are many potential problems here so please help however you can!

my specs:
ASUS TUF b550m-plus mobo
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte Auros 5700xt
EVGA 850 B5 psu

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd suggest that you breadboard the system, while it's all disconnected, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and then retry powering it up but with the bare minimum of hardware. On another note, how old is the PSU in your build and can you recall what BIOS version you were on prior?

Reactions: drea.drechsler
May 4, 2021

I'd suggest that you breadboard the system, while it's all disconnected, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and then retry powering it up but with the bare minimum of hardware. On another note, how old is the PSU in your build and can you recall what BIOS version you were on prior?

Quick clarifying question,

After removing the CMOS, I power on system after reconnecting it or do I power on with it still removed? To answer your other question, my psu is about a year old and my last bios was either 803 or 805. I updated to 2201.

May 4, 2021

just tried it but still same results, I just realized that my mobo has a light display that shows me what the problem is prior to booting and the light for VGA is lit, does that mean my gpu is broken or could it be a fixable thing?

just tried it but still same results, I just realized that my mobo has a light display that shows me what the problem is prior to booting and the light for VGA is lit, does that mean my gpu is broken or could it be a fixable thing?

It does suggest your GPU has gone bad but on the off chance it's the motherboard socket try the second PCIex16/4. Even if it works there it's not desireable, this is just a test. The second PCIe is also used up when you plug an NVME in M.2_2 so if you have that's not available to test it. Then, if you have one, try another GPU.

But before you do, double check the GPU supplemental power connection.

May 4, 2021
It does suggest your GPU has gone bad but on the off chance it's the motherboard socket try the second PCIex16/4. Even if it works there it's not desireable, this is just a test. The second PCIe is also used up when you plug an NVME in M.2_2 so if you have that's not available to test it. Then, if you have one, try another GPU.

But before you do, double check the GPU supplemental power connection.

after breadboarding, I found that my old cpu works perfectly fine. Therefore I assume the problem is a faulty new cpu. None of the pins are bent and plenty of thermal paste is being applied yet it won’t boot with the new cpu. Bios is up to date as well, I double checked when I put my old cpu in.

after breadboarding, I found that my old cpu works perfectly fine. Therefore I assume the problem is a faulty new cpu. None of the pins are bent and plenty of thermal paste is being applied yet it won’t boot with the new cpu. Bios is up to date as well, I double checked when I put my old cpu in.
Can you try the new CPU again with the GPU in the 2nd PCIe slot? The difference is that slot is fed by the chipset whereas the first (upper) slot is fed by the CPU.

If it works there...then stops working again when you move the GPU back to the first slot that will give you a lot of support for getting an RMA should that be necessary. A DOA CPU is extremely rare so if you need any proof that it's bad this could do it.

May 4, 2021
Can you try the new CPU again with the GPU in the 2nd PCIe slot? The difference is that slot is fed by the chipset whereas the first (upper) slot is fed by the CPU.

If it works there...then stops working again when you move the GPU back to the first slot that will give you a lot of support for getting an RMA should that be necessary. A DOA CPU is extremely rare so if you need any proof that it's bad this could do it.

I did try it in both slots earlier and it didn’t work in either. I’m now doing a hard reset on my PC and am going to re update the bios and then change the cpu again. That’s kinda my last idea that I haven’t tried.

May 4, 2021
If you have another GPU try that too...

The thing is both 5600x and 5700XT are PCIe gen4, but the 2700 isn't. But why operate for 30 min's and then just stop. It might just be bad CPU since it outputs the PCIe lanes to the GPU.
Yeah, I think I may just return it and hope I can exchange for a new one. So much for an upgrade!

TRENDING THREADS