[SOLVED] New CPU temperatures. Tower feels HOT

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022
Upgraded recently to AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. Applied paste to the CPU almost 2 months ago. Generally, i don't push my PC to the limit. No overclocks.

Last 2 weeks, i have been playing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and i realized that the PC tower feels kinda hot. I checked the temperatures of my hardware with HWMonitor, and most of the hardware seemed normal: my GPU was around 50-60+ Celsius degrees just like the rest. But the CPU temperature was stable at 80+ Celsius degrees. I searched online and read that maximum temperature is 95 degrees.

Is it normal to get these temperatures with only that game and Discord running?

I can provide a screenshot too with the temperatures and performance log.

Solution
Not to worry, you are OK.
You really NEED to do anything.

On the posted images, it shows your pc running full out.
That is going to generate lots of heat.
Since your cpu and gpu are both operating at less than the limits, you are ok.

What is the make/model of your case?
If you can improve airflow, the case temperatures will come down.
That could be done by adding another front intake if the case allows.
Or, at the cost of added noise, by increasing the rpm of the intake fans.
What is the current rpm of the intake fans under load?
Possibly, your motherboard bios fan profile could be changed.
I think 1200 to 1500 rpm might be reasonable.

Try running with the side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If this gives you much...
Upgraded recently to AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. Applied paste to the CPU almost 2 months ago. Generally, i don't push my PC to the limit. No overclocks.

Last 2 weeks, i have been playing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and i realized that the PC tower feels kinda hot. I checked the temperatures of my hardware with HWMonitor, and most of the hardware seemed normal: my GPU was around 50-60+ Celsius degrees just like the rest. But the CPU temperature was stable at 80+ Celsius degrees. I searched online and read that maximum temperature is 95 degrees.

Is it normal to get these temperatures with only that game and Discord running?

I can provide a screenshot too with the temperatures and performance log.

What's your ambient room temperature and do you have more than 1 case fan?

You can try reinstalling the cooler, clean off the old heat paste with a low alcohol cleaning product.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022
What's your ambient room temperature and do you have more than 1 case fan?

You can try reinstalling the cooler, clean of the old heat past with a low alcohol cleaning product.

Bedroom temperature around 25 Celsius degrees. My case has 1 fan in the back and 2 more in the front.

I was thinking already to reapply paste and the cooler, but first i wanted a second opinion cause i'm not really handy. Last time i removed a cooler i couldnt apply it back.

KyaraM

Admirable
A better log to use would be HWInfo instead of HWMonitor. It gives a bit more information, lists highest, lowest, awerage, and current temperature, and allows logging to CSV files as well. Just a suggestion.

That said, 25°C ambient is on the higher side, and even just 2°C increase here can raise temperatures by a couple degrees. I measured average temps in the low 50s the past couple days in FFXIV on my 12700K, when before they were below 50 on all cores. Do you know what the temps looked like in the past? What case do you have, how many fans, and especially, what cooler do you use? Also, are you playing in 1080p, or higher? What GPU do you use? At this point,ight already post full system specs hinestly... All that can have an impact on CPU temps.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For what I'm seeing, your temps are fine. You are hitting 75w on a 65w cpu, so your pc is behaving just like a Ryzen should and boosting performance upto what it believes is acceptable temps. Which happens to be somewhere around 80° ish.

There's a very big difference, if subtle, between 'feels hot' and 'is hot'. If it feels hot, that simply means the cooling system is working properly, the heat is being expelled away from the gpu, the cpu, out of the case. That's very different to 'is hot' where the cooling system is inadequate, isn't expelling the heat and it's accumulating in the gpu, cpu, case.

Think hairdryer. Element heats up, fan blows that heat out the front. You feel that heat, that hot air and you can run a hairdryer all day long and not burn it out. But imagine it with very little fan, all that heat would remain inside at the elements, which would in short order melt the hairdryer from the inside.

You are fine. As long as you feel that heat, the cpu isn't. I'd start worrying when you can't feel the heat anymore.

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022
What pc case are you using?
What cpu cooler are you using?
What GPU are you using?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

My current build is:
  • Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core 3.7 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • RAM: 2 x HyperX Predator 8GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • Power Supply: CoolerMaster Elite 600W V3

https://snipboard.io/gKdrxD.jpg

My case has 1 fan in the back 2 in the front

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022
A better log to use would be HWInfo instead of HWMonitor. It gives a bit more information, lists highest, lowest, awerage, and current temperature, and allows logging to CSV files as well. Just a suggestion.

That said, 25°C ambient is on the higher side, and even just 2°C increase here can raise temperatures by a couple degrees. I measured average temps in the low 50s the past couple days in FFXIV on my 12700K, when before they were below 50 on all cores. Do you know what the temps looked like in the past? What case do you have, how many fans, and especially, what cooler do you use? Also, are you playing in 1080p, or higher? What GPU do you use? At this point,ight already post full system specs hinestly... All that can have an impact on CPU temps.

My current build is:

Don't know about the temps in the past. I have this CPU around 2 months. Started playing 3-4 weeks ago and realized the last 2 weeks that it's hot. My case has 1 fan in the back 2 in the front

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022
For what I'm seeing, your temps are fine. You are hitting 75w on a 65w cpu, so your pc is behaving just like a Ryzen should and boosting performance upto what it believes is acceptable temps. Which happens to be somewhere around 80° ish.

There's a very big difference, if subtle, between 'feels hot' and 'is hot'. If it feels hot, that simply means the cooling system is working properly, the heat is being expelled away from the gpu, the cpu, out of the case. That's very different to 'is hot' where the cooling system is inadequate, isn't expelling the heat and it's accumulating in the gpu, cpu, case.

Think hairdryer. Element heats up, fan blows that heat out the front. You feel that heat, that hot air and you can run a hairdryer all day long and not burn it out. But imagine it with very little fan, all that heat would remain inside at the elements, which would in short order melt the hairdryer from the inside.

You are fine. As long as you feel that heat, the cpu isn't. I'd start worrying when you can't feel the heat anymore.

I understand your explanation. Very clear. With "feels hot" i meant that i touched my PC case with my hand and i felt that it's hot. Maybe it's just the heat going out the case, just like you said.

If this gives you much improvement, then you could benefit from better case cooling.

If you move the HDD lower, it will not obstruct the lower front fan airflow.
Similarly, if the bracket under the dvd mount is removable, that could also clean up front intake airflow.

Changing paste makes less difference than many think.
But if the mounting screws were not tightened a bit at a time in a criss cross pattern, then the cooler might not be level.
As a tip: before removing the cooler, run the cpu a bit to soften up the paste so the cooler comes off easily.

If you want to reduce cpu temperatures more, then a tower type air cooler with a 120 or 140mm fan will be more effective.

Solution

loadt4

Prominent
May 18, 2022

If this gives you much improvement, then you could benefit from better case cooling.

If you move the HDD lower, it will not obstruct the lower front fan airflow.
Similarly, if the bracket under the dvd mount is removable, that could also clean up front intake airflow.

Changing paste makes less difference than many think.
But if the mounting screws were not tightened a bit at a time in a criss cross pattern, then the cooler might not be level.
As a tip: before removing the cooler, run the cpu a bit to soften up the paste so the cooler comes off easily.

If you want to reduce cpu temperatures more, then a tower type air cooler with a 120 or 140mm fan will be more effective.

Thanks for the detailed info.

Someone told me to reduce the maximum processor state from windows power plan settings to 99% so it would turn off the turbo boost and change it back to 100%. Is that true.

I will try that thing with the HDD but i don't think it can get where it's best. Also about the DVD drive doesn't obstacle the fan flow. It sits higher than the top fan.

You said "As a tip: before removing the cooler, run the cpu a bit to soften up the paste so the cooler comes off easily." What do you mean with run the cpu a bit?

Thanks for the detailed info.

Someone told me to reduce the maximum processor state from windows power plan settings to 99% so it would turn off the turbo boost and change it back to 100%. Is that true.

I will try that thing with the HDD but i don't think it can get where it's best. Also about the DVD drive doesn't obstacle the fan flow. It sits higher than the top fan.

You said "As a tip: before removing the cooler, run the cpu a bit to soften up the paste so the cooler comes off easily." What do you mean with run the cpu a bit?
I well may have suggested the 99% here or elsewhere.
It is simple to try.

When the pc is cold, the paste can adhere strongly to the cpu die.
Just pulling may not get the cooler off.
Too much pulling and you can damage parts.
When the cpu is warm, the paste softens, letting you pull the cooler off easily.
Just run something and remove the cooler right after you shut down.

KyaraM

Admirable
My current build is:

Don't know about the temps in the past. I have this CPU around 2 months. Started playing 3-4 weeks ago and realized the last 2 weeks that it's hot. My case has 1 fan in the back 2 in the front
Thank you for the info. That looks like the stock cooler, is that correct? If you absolutely want to cool down the CPU more, you could get a cooler for around 30-40 bucks. Some good ones cost even less iirc. An Arctic Freezer Esports, BeQuiet Pure Rock 2, and similar coolers would be sufficient and cool better than the stock cooler. Better than most other top blowers, too. But if people say you are fine, than likely you are and changing coolers would be more for the psychological effect than anything else.