[SOLVED] New cpu to rip my bluray collection

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hello
I have an old Phenom X6 1055t..........and encoding mkv bluray rip from MakeMKV to mp4 with handbrake is painfully slow
What would be a great upgrade, but without breaking the bank?
I may be able to purchase a used Ryzen 5 2600 from a friend's son (not sure yet about the price though)
Assuming price is good, is it a good choice?
What other choices would you recommend (again, not looking at the latest and greatest - and expensive - CPU)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen 5 2600 is pretty good for the price (new) at $119. That's actually probably the best bang for your buck as far as what you need it for. You will need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM also.
Hello
I have an old Phenom X6 1055t..........and encoding mkv bluray rip from MakeMKV to mp4 with handbrake is painfully slow
What would be a great upgrade, but without breaking the bank?
I may be able to purchase a used Ryzen 5 2600 from a friend's son (not sure yet about the price though)
Assuming price is good, is it a good choice?
What other choices would you recommend (again, not looking at the latest and greatest - and expensive - CPU)

Thanks
If you have a halfways recent GPU you can use that to encode movies and it will do it multiple times faster than any CPU you can buy.

You can go with the used R5 1600 of your friend, or you can get a brand new Ryzen 5 2600 from Microcenter: https://www.microcenter.com/product...m4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-stealth-cooler. Also you could wait till you can get a Ryzen 5 1600 AF from Amazon for ~ $85 (the AF part is basically a brand new cpu with an almost identical performance to the Ryzen 5 2600)

If you go with the old, used one, Just make sure it doesn't have any bend pins and it comes with the stock cooler (you will still want to clean any old thermal paste and put some brand new thermal compound on it)

If you can get the 1600 for 30 bucks, even the original, stop talking to us and hand over the money!

Seriously when those arrived they were almost 200 bucks. Get that, pair up a b450 board and 16gb of ddr4. Then you can overclock a bit if you want. Pop in a graphics card and you've got a decent little gaming rig.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
OK, I've got the R5 1600...............$30
Which motherboard would you recommend (Microcenter ideally since there is one close to where I live)
Want to keep it relatively cheap, I don't think I need the latest and greatest gaming board !!!

TRENDING THREADS