New CPU troubles: Going from 6300 to 8350.

Bigfootyetti

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
I recently grabbed a new FX-8350 from Newegg to replace my current FX-6300. I got it all setup, heatsink on, and it posted and all seemed fine. I started up a game and the temp jumped to 50°C and everything just stopped. Dead. I had to manually power down. I tried this a few times on different games and the same thing happened every time, at 50°C everything would stop. Then I played some Quake Live making sure not to get to 50° and my PC just randomly restarted. I thought maybe my 500 watt psu was the problem, so I got a new 750 watt EVGA leaf blower, and a $36 refurb H70. Now this thing is cold, like 25 under load, started up Far Cry 4 and it happened all over again. Someone suggested that it may be a mobo issue, but I don't know what to change.

System:
AMD FX-6300/FX-8350
GTX 660
Corsair H70
ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
8GB Ram
EVGA Supernova NEX 750B1 PSU
Win 8.1

Solution

You need a board with 8+2 phase power to get anything out of that cpu, yes. Google "ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, thermal throttling". One thing you could try is loading "Optimized Defaults" in your BIOS. Some voltage setting may be out of whack since you swapped cpu's.

Bigfootyetti

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

Can I do that in AMD OverDrive? Or in the board utilities?

To reset your motherboards BIOS simply go in advanced mode and click esc. After that click on Load Optimized Defaults. I am not sure if this is the right way for that specific motherboard but if its not like this you can move the jumper on the motherboard or take off the CMOS battery.

BIOS update would be a great idea, althrought the current BIOS supports both CPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios access is usually F1 or F2 at the startup, soon as you turn on the pc, long before Windows starts. You'll usually see an option list somewhere (f5 for factory default, f10 to save and exit etc) you'll hit f5. This is a soft reset. For a hard reset, look for the large watch battery on the motherboard, pull that, wait 2 minutes then reinstall. Or find the cmos jumper (very small piece of plastic wrapped around 2 of 3 metal spikes in the lower right hand corner of the motherboard usually, pull the power cable, move the plastic jumper from spikes 1-2 to 2-3, count to 20, move jumper back to 1-2, plug power back in. These are hard resets.

What they all accomplish is to erase any and all custom settings applied by you or any other software to the bios/cmos and does a factory default reset of the bios according to the cpu installed which in your case would erase any and all of the potential 6300 settings and apply 8350 requirements.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Your board is known to throttle the 8 core FX cpu's. It has a weak phase power, 4+1. A good 970 board like a GA-970-UD3P have 8+2 phase power. As a load is put on the cpu the vrm's momentarily overheat and you get frequency drops.

Bigfootyetti

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

Sooo what? I cant use it? I need a new mobo?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You need a board with 8+2 phase power to get anything out of that cpu, yes. Google "ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, thermal throttling". One thing you could try is loading "Optimized Defaults" in your BIOS. Some voltage setting may be out of whack since you swapped cpu's.

Solution