Question New CPU, trying to choose a new motherboard

Nov 19, 2023
Hi guys, basically I have been kind of frustrated with my computer's performance, so lately I have been doing my research and trying to find the best upgrades possible for a budget of 250-300€.
So, with that in mind, here are the best options that I could find:

CPU: i3-12100f (Current CPU: i5-6400)
PSU: Seasonic G12 GM 750W Gold Certified (Current PSU: Nox 650W Bronze)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B660M-K D4 (my current motherboard is not even available for purchase so not even gonna bother)
Current GPU: RX 580 8GB

I know that my GPU is not that good for modern games, specially 1440p games but for now my intention is only to play in 1080p so im not that worried with that matter, but, if one day I do want to play 1440p, im doing these upgrades in hope that they will handle a RTX 3060TI or a RTX 4060. Do you guys think that these are some good upgrades or are there better options? Please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, basically I have been kind of frustrated with my computer's performance, so lately I have been doing my research and trying to find the best upgrades possible for a budget of 250-300€.
So, with that in mind, here are the best options that I could find:

CPU: i3-12100f (Current CPU: i5-6400)
PSU: Seasonic G12 GM 750W Gold Certified (Current PSU: Nox 650W Bronze)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B660M-K D4 (my current motherboard is not even available for purchase so not even gonna bother)

I know that my GPU is not that good for modern games, specially 1440p games but for now my intention is only to play in 1080p so im not that worried with that matter, but, if one day I do want to play 1440p, im doing these upgrades in hope that they will handle a RTX 3060TI or a RTX 4060. Any thoughts? Thanks for your attention.
You might want to shop for a psu with at least a 7 yr warranty.

Planning on using the old ram with the new build?

Nov 19, 2023
I have been kind of frustrated with my computer's performance, so lately I have been doing my research and these are the best options that I could find:

CPU: i3-12100f
PSU: Seasonic G12 GM 750W Gold Certified
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B660M-K D4

I have intentions to upgrade gpu to a RTX 4060 or a RTX 3060TI later, does anyone have better ideas on what to buy? Please let me know.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What do you have now and what are your use cases?
Budget and where are you shopping from/preferred retailer?

Straight away, I would not even consider a 580 after this long. Even if you opted to go used, there are well better options out there now.

Nov 19, 2023
What do you have now and what are your use cases?
Budget and where are you shopping from/preferred retailer?

Straight away, I would not even consider a 580 after this long. Even if you opted to go used, there are well better options out there now.
My budget is between 250-300€. I have been looking for prices in a lot of shops/websites, and the best prices that I could find either were on Amazon or PCDiga (portuguese shop):

i3-12100f - 100€ (Amazon)
ASUS PRIME B660M-K D4 - 107€ (Amazon)
Seasonic Gold PSU - 80€ (Pcdiga)

When I referred to GPU on last post, I meant that my current GPU is RX580, not that I was going to buy one now.

Are you using an ssd drive currently? How much ram? Is this primarily a gaming box?

If you don’t have an ssd and at least 16gb vram, I would say that you’d want to do those things. Then save your money for a better gpu. At least a 3060 or 4060 would be better than the cards you have. On the amd side look at the rx 6600 or higher. Then you could always upgrade cpu etc later.

Nov 19, 2023
Are you using an ssd drive currently? How much ram? Is this primarily a gaming box?

If you don’t have an ssd and at least 16gb vram, I would say that you’d want to do those things. Then save your money for a better gpu. At least a 3060 or 4060 would be better than the cards you have. On the amd side look at the rx 6600 or higher. Then you could always upgrade cpu etc later.
My RX580 is 8GB and I do have a SSD (I also have 16gb ram, but that doesn't matter much)

What parts do you have now?
In what way is your current pc not doing the job?
If gaming, what kinds of games do you play?

Do not buy a F suffix processor to save a minimal amount of money.
If you should ever have gpu issues then having integrated graphics is a lifesaver

Are you buying used?

Nov 19, 2023
What parts do you have now?
In what way is your current pc not doing the job?
If gaming, what kinds of games do you play?

Do not buy a F suffix processor to save a minimal amount of money.
If you should ever have gpu issues then having integrated graphics is a lifesaver

Are you buying used?
Currently have a i5-6400, RX 580 8GB, ASUS MB, and a 120GB SSD with Windows installed. Considering upgrading to an i5-12400F, but the i3-12100F is an option for €50 less. Upgrading to face gaming bottleneck issues with high CPU usage and lag spikes in modern 1080p games. Changing in-game graphic settings doesn't seem to help very much.

If changing graphics options or resolutions does nothing, that suggests that your cpu is the limiting factor.
In particular, gaming depends on the performance of the single master thread.
The single thread passmark rating of your 6400 is 1974.
The upgrade to a 12100 is a good one, the single thread rating is 3550.
Plus, you get 8 processing threads vs.4
The 12400 option is not as good as it seems. Yes, you would get 12 threads, but the single thread performance would still be only 3531.

If I might make a halfway suggestion. For a lower budget, consider the ryzen 5 3600 or 5500 and a cheap b450/550 board. You’d still have some upgrade room to the x3d CPUs also. But that would give a lot of the single thread uplift and still the multi core performance around the i3 price point.

Nov 19, 2023
I have a RX580 and now im buying a i3-12100F. Because my motherboard is so old, it won't be able to handle the new CPU, having a few problems choosing a new motherboard, only could find one that fit my budget/necessities:
Asus Prime B760M-K D4
For it's price (107€), is there any better option for this price/slightly higher price? Lmk.

Last edited:

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
If it was me, I would spend the extra twenty or so dollars on something like the MSI Pro B760-P WiFi. It's got better IO for more connectivity, it's full size ATX for more expandability, has four memory slots, and has built-in WiFi 6E, meaning you'll be able to keep the board and stick with that platform for longer. Hope that helped, take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: nogueirae
Nov 19, 2023
If it was me, I would spend the extra twenty or so dollars on something like the MSI Pro Z790-S WiFi. It's got better IO for more connectivity, it's full size ATX for more expandability, has four memory slots, and has built-in WiFi 6E, meaning you'll be able to keep the board and stick with that platform for longer. Hope that helped, take care.
Very much actually, thanks