[SOLVED] new CPU won't post

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
I have an ASUS MB, PRIME A30M-K. This MB has integrated graphics. My old CPU was AMD A12-9800E. I installed new RAM, GSKILL F4 3600C DDR4 2X16GB. PC worked perfectly. I then installed a new CPU, Ryzen 7 5700G with integrated graphics. It will NOT post. Tried 5700X WITHOUT integrated graphics and still would not post. I can reinstall my original CPU and it works perfectly. I did upgrade the BIOS to the most current version. The MB lists the Ryzen as being compatible. I thought maybe the new CPU was DOA so tried another new one and still nothing. Please help me out guys! TIA!

Solution
.... I did order this GPU in the hopes of getting things to work --> NEW GeForce GTX 750 4GB OR GeForce GT 730 2GB VGA HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card

That GPU should work fine with the 3800X CPU and X570-P motherboard. Just be sure to connect the monitor to connectors on the GPU and not the connectors on the motherboard. They'd either be pretty terrible for modern gaming but if price is similar go for the GTX750 4GB board.

Are you certain the GPU's are NEW though? I would have thought them to have gone out of production a long time ago. I suppose they could be "new-old stock".

If I recall, the 'G' CPU you had previously was a 5700G which is incompatible with an A320 motherboard. The exact reason it won't work doesn't really...
Actually, it does not have integrated graphics. It does however SUPPORT the use of CPUs that have integrated graphics. Since the 5700G is not on the support list for that motherboard, it is unlikely that it is supported, and in fact, none of the 5000 series are supported. You will need a different motherboard or a 3000 series CPU.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Actually, it does not have integrated graphics. It does however SUPPORT the use of CPUs that have integrated graphics. Since the 5700G is not on the support list for that motherboard, it is unlikely that it is supported, and in fact, none of the 5000 series are supported. You will need a different motherboard or a 3000 series CPU.

thanks for your answer. I did see the amd ryzen 7 5700X listed in the CPUs for this MB. I tried it and it did NOT work. Please advise what CPU WILL work with what I have? I also need PCIe 4.0 support for my SSD.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
5700g is pcie 3.0 only. Your pcie 4.0 ssd will only be able to run in 3.0 mode regardless of motherboard.

Your motherboard will not support pcie 4.0 regardles of cpu.

You would need both a different cpu and different motherboard to run pcie 4.0.
Please advise what CPU WILL work with what I have?

@Darkbreeze gave you the complete list above. Here it is again:
You're first consideration is whether you REQUIRE an APU. Or, if you have a GPU, will a CPU suffice? If you require an APU, then 3400G is your top choice.

If you have a GPU that's sufficient then you could go as high as a 3900X for a CPU. IMO, a 3600X would be the better choice assuming your interest is gaming.

Last edited:
thanks for your answer. I did see the amd ryzen 7 5700X listed in the CPUs for this MB. I tried it and it did NOT work. Please advise what CPU WILL work with what I have? I also need PCIe 4.0 support for my SSD.
No. Actually, you didn't. You couldn't have, because it's not a supported CPU. It simply IS NOT on the list of supported CPUs and AMD made it very clear even before they released this generation of CPUs that the older budget chipset wasn't going to be supported for use of these. So, not sure where you "saw" that it was supported, but wherever it was, it was BS and was wrong. As drea.drechsler said, I gave you the link to the full CPU support list and there are NO 5000 series Ryzen CPUs on it for that motherboard. Unfortunately, there is no alternatives available for you in this matter other than an older 3000 series CPU or a different motherboard that does support the 5000 series. It is, what it is.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is fairly common the answer is post first buy after!

Best you can use with built in graphics 3400G (this will also not work unless you have at least BIOS version4801 or higher) NO PICE 4 M.2 support and will also limit the PCI-E lanes if you add more later.

Last edited:
No. Actually, you didn't. You couldn't have, because it's not a supported CPU.
I mean, technically they could have read that at someplace that was listing incorrect information. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere on the Internet, someone wrote that 5000-series processors would work on that board.

And of course, even the official product page for that board suggests things like "The AMD A320 chipset delivers outstanding capabilities for the latest AMD AM4-socket Ryzen processors", which might have been true when the page was last updated, but isn't actually true now. There could also be some confusion between "3rd-gen Ryzen" and "Zen 3", which the 5000-series processors utilize.

And it probably doesn't help that the official product page and specifications page for the board don't appear to even link directly to the supported CPU list, instead suggesting that one should "* Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list". Never mind that the page is already on asus.com. Kind of a poor site design there.

I did see the amd ryzen 7 5700X listed in the CPUs for this MB. I tried it and it did NOT work. Please advise what CPU WILL work with what I have? I also need PCIe 4.0 support for my SSD.
There is no 5700X, at least not currently, as the only 8-core 5000-series retail desktop processor without integrated graphics is called the "5800X". You might have seen the "3700X" listed, which was the previous-year's 8-core, 16-thread part. That might be a decent option if you can find one priced lower than a 5700G, as even that should perform around twice as fast as your A12 processor at most CPU-limited tasks, and is only around 10% or so behind the 5700G. It doesn't have integrated graphics though, so knowing whether you need those would be helpful, along with what you intend to use the system for. You might not even see much benefit from going with an 8-core 16-thread processor depending on what software you are using, so fewer cores might potentially work just as well for your needs.

As for processors with integrated graphics that would work in your existing motherboard, the 3400G was mentioned, but it only has half the cores and threads of those other processors, with each core being a bit slower too. It would still be a notable upgrade over an A12-9800E though. That is, assuming you can find one in-stock near its retail price, which should be $150 in the US, but the processor is out-of-stock at all major online retailers here, and is marked up to much higher prices by resellers.

Of course, none of these options would provide you with PCIe 4.0. To get that, you would need to switch to a B550 or X570 motherboard, and get one of the Ryzen 3000 or 5000-series processors without integrated graphics. However, you might not even see any significant benefit from PCIe 4.0. It technically allows for up to double the maximum transfer rates of PCIe 3.0, though in terms of real-world application performance, you are unlikely to notice any difference compared to running the drive at 3.0 speeds, as for most file accesses, other components in a system will be what's limiting performance with these fast drives. Only when copying large files or running a synthetic benchmark are you likely to see any difference.

Right. And I would agree in most cases, except that we know this was made clear AND caused somewhat of an uproar in general among people who were upset because of the whole "we are going to support all CPUs for this socket until XXXX date" which obviously, had to be modified because, things changed. Again, it is what it is.

But I totally agree that it isn't necessarily the fault of the OP, and I said as much when I indicated that whoever they got that info from was wrong. It's definitely not entirely the fault of the OP, although, a bit more investigation on their part MIGHT have helped this to not happen. That's all I can say on the subject really.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
I really appreciate ALL your answers guys! I did not get all my info correct, but hey I am at least trying lol! I have decided to get this MB -> ASUS PRIME x570-P, however it specifies the BIOS may need to be flashed before it will work with 5000 series. Please tell me how to do that without it recognizing the CPU?

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
ok I need help again. I bought the ASUS PRIME x570-P and it will not boot up. I tried using this CPU -> Ryzen 7 3800x and nothing. I then tried using an old a12 cpu and again nothing. It will not boot up enough for me to even get into the BIOS. The RAM lights up, the CPU cooler lights up, the MB lights up. Just hangs there. I tried clearing the CMOS. Still nothing.

ok I need help again. I bought the ASUS PRIME x570-P and it will not boot up. I tried using this CPU -> Ryzen 7 3800x and nothing. I then tried using an old a12 cpu and again nothing. It will not boot up enough for me to even get into the BIOS. The RAM lights up, the CPU cooler lights up, the MB lights up. Just hangs there. I tried clearing the CMOS. Still nothing.
Probably should put this in a new thread.....

It's not likely to work with an A12 processor but it should work out-of-the-box with a 3800X.

Run through the bench-testing and no-post trouble shooting steps in this thread:

Go through the No-Post troubleshooting first, then come back to the bench testing if you get no satisfaction. Bench testing entails removing from the case. It covers most all of the possible tricky spots that can be missed. The hardware being used in photos is older but the same issues apply.

Last edited:
Do you have a graphics card? The 3800x does not have integrated graphics, it will not display without a GPU.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
I am being told I have to have a GPU for this. Do you agree? It does have the HDMI connection on the back. Would this cause it to NOT post? PLEASE recommend one that will work and not break the bank? $200 max?

Last edited:
I am being told I have to have a GPU for this. Do you agree? It does have the HDMI connection on the back. Would this cause it to NOT post? PLEASE recommend one that will work and not break the bank? $200 max?
A 3800X CPU will not post without a discrete GPU.

Now isn't a good time to be looking for a GPU...especially at the $200 or less price point. Should have kept the 5700G as it would work fine with the X570 board.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 4017 601296707 601201888&Order=2

Some to choose from. None are very good for gaming with only 2GB memory, but at least they're (fairly) modern and will post to give you a display for clicking around in Windows.

A 5700G would doubtless be better than any of them for gaming.

Last edited:
I do NOT have a graphics card.... PLEASE recommend one that will work and not break the bank? $200 max?
Yes, you need a graphics card. I told you in my very first post that your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics either. The ONLY Ryzen CPUs that have graphics are the ones that end in a "G" like the 5700G you said you had to begin with. Did you get rid of that CPU?

Either way, with your current CPU you need a graphics card, or you need to use a CPU with a G designation.

Reactions: kurdtnz

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Yes, you need a graphics card. I told you in my very first post that your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics either. The ONLY Ryzen CPUs that have graphics are the ones that end in a "G" like the 5700G you said you had to begin with. Did you get rid of that CPU?

Either way, with your current CPU you need a graphics card, or you need to use a CPU with a G designation.
Ok bear with me. I am very old school and have been building these since the first 286 models, not for a living but whenever I needed a new pc. To me if a PC will run without a GPU then it has integrated graphics. I see now that is NOT true. The 1st MB did not have a GPU but did have an HDMI port and it worked great WITHOUT a GPU. I did try Ryzen CPUs with AND without the G designation. Neither worked. I was also told the G designation would not allow full use of my SDD. I was also told they Ryzen 3000 series was compatible with my MB. It would not post either. If a GPU is all that is needed then I will gladly get one for that one too. Please advise so I don't screw up and get the wrong one.

I finally just gave up on that board and started all over again.
NO I do NOT have the G CPU anymore, I want to get full use of my SDD.

So now here I am with a whole new system, new case, new PS, new MB, and new CPU that is NOT a 5000 series and still can't post. If it is really as simple as getting a GPU then I will gladly get one! Just please tell me what to get that will work in the $200 range or less., so I don't screw up and get the wrong one.

Ok bear with me. I am very old school and have been building these since the first 286 models, not for a living but whenever I needed a new pc. To me if a PC will run without a GPU then it has integrated graphics. I see now that is NOT true. The 1st MB did not have a GPU but did have an HDMI port and it worked great WITHOUT a GPU. I did try Ryzen CPUs with AND without the G designation. Neither worked. I was also told the G designation would not allow full use of my SDD. I was also told they Ryzen 3000 series was compatible with my MB. It would not post either. If a GPU is all that is needed then I will gladly get one for that one too. Please advise so I don't screw up and get the wrong one.

I finally just gave up on that board and started all over again.
NO I do NOT have the G CPU anymore, I want to get full use of my SDD.

So now here I am with a whole new system, new case, new PS, new MB, and new CPU that is NOT a 5000 series and still can't post. If it is really as simple as getting a GPU then I will gladly get one! Just please tell me what to get that will work in the $200 range or less., so I don't screw up and get the wrong one.
OK...several things here...

You're understanding of PC's with integrated graphics was true when the integrated GPU's were on the motherboard. They're all internal to the processor now for both Intel and AMD. That's something for you to learn and not expect it different.

You're right that a 5700G will limit an NVME SSD to PCIe gen. 3 but the performance of a SATA SSD will be unaffected. Gen 4 performance will not be noticeable compared to Gen 3, not even to SATA, except in synthetic benchmarks.

I posted a link to Newegg with their$200/less GPU's. Get one of the RX-550's or GTX 1050's. Many, if not all, of them are used and refurb's and ship from China. That's the state of the market right now: you've got to be prepared to spend upwards of $900 to get a decent modern card brand new. Maybe less if you spend time looking for one of the rare cards that pop up at MSRP and you have to act fast when you find it. Nobody's going to do that for you, so you have to be knowledgeable of the range of possible cards you'd be willing to accept.

The cheapest modern card worth gaming on would be an RX6600XT or RTX3060...any mfr, any card, whatever pops up that's cheap enough to swallow.

RX5700/XT's or RTX2070's are rare and probably as expensive even used; same with RX580/590 and GTX1070's. Since they're out of production you'll probably only find them them as used or refurbs also and even then priced well above $200. You have to take whatever you can find, you can't go shopping for a specific card.

Bottom line: a $200 dollar budget is laughable for a playable GPU...or would be if everyone wasn't crying. Also why a 5700G is such a desire-able processor as you get to play games on it with an iGPU that's far better than the NVME is degraded at gen 3.

Last edited:
Me and drea.drechler DO NOT always see eye to eye, a lot. OFTEN in fact. But his explanation is of course 100% spot on. We have been moving towards communal agreement over time, and most especially in the last year or so I have had little reason to disagree with him most of the time, maybe once or twice, but in this case, he is actually fully correct in every regard of his post so far as I can see.

So I have nothing to actually add to what he has offered, and the advice is good.

TRENDING THREADS