[SOLVED] new CPU won't post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
I have an ASUS MB, PRIME A30M-K. This MB has integrated graphics. My old CPU was AMD A12-9800E. I installed new RAM, GSKILL F4 3600C DDR4 2X16GB. PC worked perfectly. I then installed a new CPU, Ryzen 7 5700G with integrated graphics. It will NOT post. Tried 5700X WITHOUT integrated graphics and still would not post. I can reinstall my original CPU and it works perfectly. I did upgrade the BIOS to the most current version. The MB lists the Ryzen as being compatible. I thought maybe the new CPU was DOA so tried another new one and still nothing. Please help me out guys! TIA!

Solution
.... I did order this GPU in the hopes of getting things to work --> NEW GeForce GTX 750 4GB OR GeForce GT 730 2GB VGA HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card

That GPU should work fine with the 3800X CPU and X570-P motherboard. Just be sure to connect the monitor to connectors on the GPU and not the connectors on the motherboard. They'd either be pretty terrible for modern gaming but if price is similar go for the GTX750 4GB board.

Are you certain the GPU's are NEW though? I would have thought them to have gone out of production a long time ago. I suppose they could be "new-old stock".

If I recall, the 'G' CPU you had previously was a 5700G which is incompatible with an A320 motherboard. The exact reason it won't work doesn't really...

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
OK...several things here...

You're understanding of PC's with integrated graphics was true when the integrated GPU's were on the motherboard. They're all internal to the processor now for both Intel and AMD. That's something for you to learn and not expect it different.

You're right that a 5700G will limit an NVME SSD to PCIe gen. 3 but the performance of a SATA SSD will be unaffected. Gen 4 performance will not be noticeable compared to Gen 3, not even to SATA, except in synthetic benchmarks.

I posted a link to Newegg with their$200/less GPU's. Get one of the RX-550's or GTX 1050's. Many, if not all, of them are used and refurb's and ship from China. That's the state of the market right now: you've got to be prepared to spend upwards of $900 to get a decent modern card brand new. Maybe less if you spend time looking for one of the rare cards that pop up at MSRP and you have to act fast when you find it. Nobody's going to do that for you, so you have to be knowledgeable of the range of possible cards you'd be willing to accept.

The cheapest modern card worth gaming on would be an RX6600XT or RTX3060...any mfr, any card, whatever pops up that's cheap enough to swallow.

RX5700/XT's or RTX2070's are rare and probably as expensive even used; same with RX580/590 and GTX1070's. Since they're out of production you'll probably only find them them as used or refurbs also and even then priced well above $200. You have to take whatever you can find, you can't go shopping for a specific card.

Bottom line: a $200 dollar budget is laughable for a playable GPU...or would be if everyone wasn't crying. Also why a 5700G is such a desire-able processor as you get to play games on it with an iGPU that's far better than the NVME is degraded at gen 3.
On this MB (PRIME A30M-K ) can you explain to me why all the A12 processors I have used do NOT need a GPU, while, so far, NONE of the Ryzen processors I have tried ( including the latest Ryzen 3 3300X ) do not work without a GPU , and yes I have tried the G versions as well? I also have the newest version BIOS, 5603x64. Also I did order this GPU in the hopes of getting things to work --> NEW GeForce GTX 750 4GB OR GeForce GT 730 2GB VGA HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card

.... I did order this GPU in the hopes of getting things to work --> NEW GeForce GTX 750 4GB OR GeForce GT 730 2GB VGA HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card

That GPU should work fine with the 3800X CPU and X570-P motherboard. Just be sure to connect the monitor to connectors on the GPU and not the connectors on the motherboard. They'd either be pretty terrible for modern gaming but if price is similar go for the GTX750 4GB board.

Are you certain the GPU's are NEW though? I would have thought them to have gone out of production a long time ago. I suppose they could be "new-old stock".

If I recall, the 'G' CPU you had previously was a 5700G which is incompatible with an A320 motherboard. The exact reason it won't work doesn't really matter but what it basically comes down to is no BIOS for the board will recognize any Ryzen 5000 processor and initialize it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
OK...several things here...

You're understanding of PC's with integrated graphics was true when the integrated GPU's were on the motherboard. They're all internal to the processor now for both Intel and AMD. That's something for you to learn and not expect it different.

You're right that a 5700G will limit an NVME SSD to PCIe gen. 3 but the performance of a SATA SSD will be unaffected. Gen 4 performance will not be noticeable compared to Gen 3, not even to SATA, except in synthetic benchmarks.

I posted a link to Newegg with their$200/less GPU's. Get one of the RX-550's or GTX 1050's. Many, if not all, of them are used and refurb's and ship from China. That's the state of the market right now: you've got to be prepared to spend upwards of $900 to get a decent modern card brand new. Maybe less if you spend time looking for one of the rare cards that pop up at MSRP and you have to act fast when you find it. Nobody's going to do that for you, so you have to be knowledgeable of the range of possible cards you'd be willing to accept.

The cheapest modern card worth gaming on would be an RX6600XT or RTX3060...any mfr, any card, whatever pops up that's cheap enough to swallow.

RX5700/XT's or RTX2070's are rare and probably as expensive even used; same with RX580/590 and GTX1070's. Since they're out of production you'll probably only find them them as used or refurbs also and even then priced well above $200. You have to take whatever you can find, you can't go shopping for a specific card.

Bottom line: a $200 dollar budget is laughable for a playable GPU...or would be if everyone wasn't crying. Also why a 5700G is such a desire-able processor as you get to play games on it with an iGPU that's far better than the NVME is degraded at gen 3.
I thought I post this earlier but I guess it did not post.

If I recall, the 'G' CPU you had previously was a 5700G which is incompatible with an A320 motherboard. The exact reason it won't work doesn't really matter but what it basically comes down to is no BIOS for the board will recognize any Ryzen 5000 processor and initialize it.
NEW GeForce GTX 750 4GB OR GeForce GT 730 2GB VGA HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card | eBay

Either of those cards SHOULD work fine on that board. They are older, but they are both PCIe 3.0 and should work fine. Not strong, but definitely enough for most of the basic HDMI, VGA, DVI and in some cases, if you are lucky, displayport outputs. Not sure either of those cards have DP, but really it mainly depends on the SPECIFIC model of card, when it comes to what outputs they have because from model to model they are different.

so which is the best combo? the GTX 750 4GB, or Ryzen 7 5700g?
The 5700G would be slightly faster than the 3800X in performance (they're both 8 core/16 thread CPU's), but pretty close. The Vega 8 GPU in the 5700G performs on par with GT1030, GT1050, RX460 and is more modern, so it will more fully enable graphical features in modern games. It will also have access to more memory, if installed.

I'm not sure whether FXFSR will work with the GTX750, that may be a big help if it does. DLSS definitely does not.

The 5700G would have been a better combo, but you're set with something functional at least.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
The 5700G would be slightly faster than the 3800X in performance (they're both 8 core/16 thread CPU's), but pretty close. The Vega 8 GPU in the 5700G performs on par with GT1030, GT1050, RX460 and is more modern, so it will more fully enable graphical features in modern games. It will also have access to more memory, if installed.

I'm not sure whether FXFSR will work with the GTX750, that may be a big help if it does. DLSS definitely does not.

The 5700G would have been a better combo, but you're set with something functional at least.
well I did update the BIOS to newest. So it is ready now for the 5000 series. I think I will put the GPU in the old pc, and just put the 5700g in this then. So I have another question. Is there a huge difference in the ryzen 5 and 7 ?

... Is there a huge difference in the ryzen 5 and 7 ?
Depends on type of work and how you use your computer. With graphical editing, rendering, video editing and trans-coding, for instance, Ryzen 7 can be like a breath of fresh air.

If just gaming and office productivity it won't be much different unless you also tend towards doing many things at the same time, with a lot of apps and browser tabs open. Windows is much better about using CPU threads and with Ryzen 7 there is always an under-utilized core available to boost to max clock to finish off transient processes. That helps make a smoother, more responsive system; streaming and gaming at the same time is very much better for instance.

Last edited:
Depends on type of work and how you use your computer. With graphical editing, rendering, video editing and trans-coding, for instance, Ryzen 7 can be like a breath of fresh air.

If just gaming and office productivity it won't be much different unless you also tend towards doing many things at the same time, with a lot of apps and browser tabs open. Windows is much better about using CPU threads and with Ryzen 7 there is always an under-utilized core available to boost to max clock to finish off transient processes. That helps make a smoother, more responsive system; streaming and gaming at the same time is very much better for instance.
This.

Any applications or games that are either highly optimized for threaded performance OR where significant multitasking with multiple processes is involved, the Ryzen 7 is going to be a boon. If you are running games or applications that don't need more than a 6/12 CPU, then having a Ryzen 7 probably isn't going to seem like a value.

wilmaybee

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
This.

Any applications or games that are either highly optimized for threaded performance OR where significant multitasking with multiple processes is involved, the Ryzen 7 is going to be a boon. If you are running games or applications that don't need more than a 6/12 CPU, then having a Ryzen 7 probably isn't going to seem like a value.
so I got everything up and running, and it works great! Thanks for ALL your patience and help! I have been wondering about something. Now that I have the G CPU, will I have to change to the X if I use a GPU?

TRENDING THREADS