New CPU won't start

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
So I have a 1150 socket running a 4460, switched to a used i7 4790. Note: There was no thermal compound on the CPU but some from before on the heatsink. So I thought I'd install it just to see if it works. So I did, and after starting the pc, it told me you have a new cpu installed, the specs blah blah, and as soon as windows booted to the home screen, the computer crashed. I started it again, but it said heating error or something. So I turned the PC off. Is it because I haven't applied or re-applied the thermal compound? If so, I've already ordered some.

Solution
They are different between the i3/i5/i7 look the same but a bit taller each step. They are made to just barely keep a CPU under thermal margin. With no or dry paste they do nothing. Good paste is $7 a hyper Evo 212 is $25 and has paste on it that'll work fine.

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

I have the intel stock is that not good enough?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
They are different between the i3/i5/i7 look the same but a bit taller each step. They are made to just barely keep a CPU under thermal margin. With no or dry paste they do nothing. Good paste is $7 a hyper Evo 212 is $25 and has paste on it that'll work fine.

Solution