Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I was at http://www.frozenCPU.com and I got a SuperORB and some thermal grease. I was wondering about the copper shim. Like if it is really necessary and how you would apply the thermal grease with that on there. I only ask because of the so called 'flip chip'.

If it helps any I am going to get a 850mhz Thunderbird.

Thank you! *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You do not want to use the copper shim with a Super Orb. The SuperOrb has a circular depression where the core is supposed to fit; if you put a copper shim under an Orb, it keeps the area inside this circular depression from making contact with the CPU core.

Honestly, you don't want an Orb either. It doesn't cool well at all, and it's all too easy to crush your CPU (Intel or AMD) trying to put the Orb on.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Oh, as for using the copper shim with HSFs other than the SuperOrb...

Since you have it already, it's a good idea to use it. It helps insure that the HSF doesn't rest at an angle on the CPU core. The caveat, which applies mainly to the Orbs, is that the bottom face of your HSF must be machined flat where it sits over the CPU, with no depression for the core to fit inside.

Also be sure the shim has the proper cutouts to fit on your T-bird. The L1 bridges, the surface-mount components (little beige rectangular things placed around the core), and the rubber pads should not be covered by the copper shim.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Whoops, my bad, you <i>don't</i> have the copper shim already.

In that case, I'd say if it's compatible with your HSF and your CPU (see above post) then go for it.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Just wanted to know what Heat sink and fan combo you would recamend? I mean if it isn't a good heat sink I won't use it! I just liked the idea of the dual fans is all and I figured it would cool good. I should have checked the reviews first but it was a spur of the moment type deal!

Thanks for the insight! *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Right now I'm using a GlobalWin FOP32-I on my 1.333GHz T-bird. Something like that would be more than enough for 850MHz. It's not much of an overclockering fan, but it's a decent cooler, it fits any motherboard, and you won't have as much risk of crushing your core. It's also compatible with the copper shim. It can be had for $20.

If you want a seriously powerful HSF (i.e. you're going to try to push this T-bird beyond 1.1GHz), you can try the <A HREF="http://www.noisecontrol.de/" target="_new">NoiseControl</A> Silverado or the SwifTech MC462. Both cost upwards of $60 though. The SwifTech the absolute best but is noisy. The Silverado is the quietest fan I know of, and it cools almost as well as the SwifTech. The Silverado is extremely large, though; it feels like having a brick hanging by one end off your motherboard. I tried it briefly on my T-bird but didn't like the weight/size of it.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Thanks for your input. I am going to take a look see ...