[SOLVED] New cpu

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
so i was thinking of getting a new cpu some time in the near future and i just wanted to know if there were any recommendations

current system:
i7-8700
RTX 2080 super
16GB 2666mhz ram
750watt psu

The problem is I don’t find any logic in your plan.
You will upgrade to a Gen 9 max. Then you want to upgrade the mobo; this can only be with a z390 board.
So what? After that you are blocked.
If you want to buy a new CPU and mobo, logic tells to buy the latest gen (of Intel or AMD), not to buy already discontinued hardware.
Especially as you have a powerfull GPU.
The only situation would be to find these older cpu and mobo for a very VERY good price.

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
The problem is I don’t find any logic in your plan.
You will upgrade to a Gen 9 max. Then you want to upgrade the mobo; this can only be with a z390 board.
So what? After that you are blocked.
If you want to buy a new CPU and mobo, logic tells to buy the latest gen (of Intel or AMD), not to buy already discontinued hardware.
Especially as you have a powerfull GPU.
The only situation would be to find these older cpu and mobo for a very VERY good price.
im not exactly sure what you mean but i need a new cpu since i feel like i cant have multiple applications running at once without it affecting performance aswell as i want to be able to run my games better. The motherboard is mostly because my current one doesnt support 3200mhz ram speed so as long as its also compatible with the new cpu i should be fine.

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
What are exactly:
  1. The problems you feel you have with your games
  2. What multiple applications ?
And how did you came to the conclusion that the CPU is the problem
some games that rely less on the gpu run worse and i cant have google chrome running in the background without it causing lag in a lot of cases
for example csgo is running at 150-200fps or something while ive had resident evil 7 at max settings running at 240fps

Consider updating your bios and inf driver also look into swapping the ssd for something that uses 4 lanes.
Your ssd only uses 2 lanes don't expect anything dramatic it's just a bump up.

UBM shows a gpu overclock guide....might be worth reading.

Cpu turbo 3.7ghz avg......I don't know if that's right or wrong seems low but it could be normal perhaps do some testing in that area.

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
So do you monitor the CPU temperatures with something as HWInfo 64 and the 10,000 $ question is what CPU cooler do you use ?
All this to try understand why your 8700 performance is under par
i dont use anything to monitor the temps and im not exactly sure what cooler it is
i just know its a decently sized air cooler from be quiet

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
Consider updating your bios and inf driver also look into swapping the ssd for something that uses 4 lanes.
Your ssd only uses 2 lanes don't expect anything dramatic it's just a bump up.

UBM shows a gpu overclock guide....might be worth reading.

Cpu turbo 3.7ghz avg......I don't know if that's right or wrong seems low but it could be normal perhaps do some testing in that area.
i dont know how to update my bios and idk what an inf driver is but ill consider swapping my ssd
my gpu is factory overclocked so i dont think i can do much more about that
im not exactly sure about how i should test the cpu

im not exactly sure what you mean but i need a new cpu since i feel like i cant have multiple applications running at once without it affecting performance aswell as i want to be able to run my games better. The motherboard is mostly because my current one doesnt support 3200mhz ram speed so as long as its also compatible with the new cpu i should be fine.

some games that rely less on the gpu run worse and i cant have google chrome running in the background without it causing lag in a lot of cases
for example csgo is running at 150-200fps or something while ive had resident evil 7 at max settings running at 240fps

i dont have a specific budget but as long as its not extremely expensive its mostly fine

I don't know what is "extremely expensive" on your definition since you did not quantify your budget.
Try the Ryzen 9 5900x and go with an X570 Motherboard. It will also be good in the long run (5 years).

It does not make any sense (for longevity) to go with Intel Gen8 or Gen9 CPUs in the long run as years go by. You will end up needing to upgrade sooner anyhow. This is where cheap becomes expensive.

Reactions: alexbirdie

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
I don't know what is "extremely expensive" on your definition since you did not quantify your budget.
Try the Ryzen 9 5900x and go with an X570 Motherboard. It will also be good in the long run (5 years).

It does not make any sense (for longevity) to go with Intel Gen8 or Gen9 CPUs in the long run as years go by. You will end up needing to upgrade sooner anyhow. This is where cheap becomes expensive.
thanks ill consider it