[SOLVED] New CPUs now wont boot or display

Jan 10, 2023
Hi, I have a TYAN s7010 server MB and just installed new CPUs (x5690). Windows 7. The machine starts but does not boot or display anything and one CPU heats up much more than the other. I switched CPUs around and no difference. I have yet to try putting the old ones back in. It is CPU 0 that is hotter than CPU 1 (1 seems barely warm at all, but is hotter than the case steel so I do think it is on. Is there a chance I damaged the socket hence no display when booting? Or is it normal for CPU 0 to be warmer when first starting up? Is there something I missed, should I clear CMOS or change battery (it is dead). I'm hoping I didn't break the MB! I was very careful. Newbie DIY type here, I built the thing 10 years ago, would like to use these new cpus for my music production. Thanks for any info!

Solution
I removed the battery and cleared CMOS. No change. No POST, no beeps. I removed the memory and it did beep the long beeps. So I think the MB is ok and the CPUS are ok. OH! I just checked the BIOS updates on TYAN's website. The BIOS requires an update from the first version if Westmere CPUs are installed. COOL, so I will try and flash the BIOS. Or should I pay the local computer guy to do it? TYAN says there's no going back if I mess it up! I guess I should read how to flash BIOS threads. Step one is to put the old CPUS back in as they will be needed to boot to flash BIOS. This is interesting stuff, I like solving problems :)

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hi, I have a TYAN s7010 server MB and just installed new CPUs (x5690). Windows 7. The machine starts but does not boot or display anything and one CPU heats up much more than the other. I switched CPUs around and no difference. I have yet to try putting the old ones back in. It is CPU 0 that is hotter than CPU 1 (1 seems barely warm at all, but is hotter than the case steel so I do think it is on. Is there a chance I damaged the socket hence no display when booting? Or is it normal for CPU 0 to be warmer when first starting up? Is there something I missed, should I clear CMOS or change battery (it is dead). I'm hoping I didn't break the MB! I was very careful. Newbie DIY type here, I built the thing 10 years ago, would like to use these new cpus for my music production. Thanks for any info!
I would start with clearing the CMOS, your system might still be looking for your old devices to continue the boot. After you clear CMOS, when booting into Windows you should see an F1 setup prompt during the post. Id remove the battery and drain the power of the system and leaving it unplugged, leave it off for like 5-10 minutes, then put the battery back in and power it up.

Reactions: Francoi
Jan 10, 2023
I removed the battery and cleared CMOS. No change. No POST, no beeps. I removed the memory and it did beep the long beeps. So I think the MB is ok and the CPUS are ok. OH! I just checked the BIOS updates on TYAN's website. The BIOS requires an update from the first version if Westmere CPUs are installed. COOL, so I will try and flash the BIOS. Or should I pay the local computer guy to do it? TYAN says there's no going back if I mess it up! I guess I should read how to flash BIOS threads. Step one is to put the old CPUS back in as they will be needed to boot to flash BIOS. This is interesting stuff, I like solving problems :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EyyMunchian
Solution