New Custom-Built Gaming Computer Makes a Sound

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Hello everyone,

I was hoping I could ask the experts what they feel this might be being caused by, and if it is even a problem at all to worry about.

First of all I would like to point out that this sound is quite infrequent (doesn't happen often) but that there are logical patterns to when and why it happens. Next thing that needs pointing out is that there is no hard disk drive, only SSD (500 GB), so that can't be it.

The components:
-Cosmos SE Tower Case
-500 GB Hyper EVO 840 Samsung SSD
-MSI G87-Z45 Motherboard
-Dual channel kit (2x 8GB) G.Skills Ripjaw RAM overclocked to its potential 2400 Mhz
-Intel i7 4770k processor, not overclocked in any way
-Asus GTX 770, only overclocked by the factory
-SeaSonic 650 W 80+ GOLD Certified power supply unit
-Asus optical DVD writer

Symptom troubleshooting:

The sound comes from the inside of the tower case, that much I know.

So basically, whenever the computer is currently loading large library files like development kits or game editor software such as Skyrim's Creation Kit, sometimes while doing this it will make a soft (non-alarming) clicking/ticking sound, which could even be stretched to say it may even sound slightly electrical, but I could be very wrong as it sounds more like a click into over-drive or something.

No funny smells or visuals, nothing wrong with computing operation whatsoever. The sound happens when loading heavy things, sifting through lists of images or thumbnails, or in the case of a game, we'll stick with Skyrim as the example (fully blown with all the eye-pleasing HD graphical mods you could imagine post-release), when going through a simple items list as it loads the models/images it sometimes makes the click sound. It also happen randomly, but very rarely during gameplay. It is almost guaranteed to happen if I alt-tab out of the game, and soon as I click it in the task bar to open it, if it has been 5 minutes or longer, it clicks a single time and is instantly loaded.

As I said, it is not common at all, I probably hear it about 15-20 times in a 16 hour period of using the computer. Please help me with what you think this is, and if you think I should worry, experts of Tom's Hardware!

Solution
It is most likely caused by a defective fan on video card, cpu cooler or power supply as you are doing something it takes more power so the fan spins up faster to cool particular parts down anyways those are the things i would check first maybe something is in their way slightly touching if no dice start removing things like video card and run video off the motherboard and see if things change so you will know if its video card or not but surest way is to have the computer panel open and just try listening to where the sound comes from i would try to find out sooner rather than later as something might be causing electrical problems. Another common issue is a screw falls inside the power supply try removing it and shake it a bit to see...
It is most likely caused by a defective fan on video card, cpu cooler or power supply as you are doing something it takes more power so the fan spins up faster to cool particular parts down anyways those are the things i would check first maybe something is in their way slightly touching if no dice start removing things like video card and run video off the motherboard and see if things change so you will know if its video card or not but surest way is to have the computer panel open and just try listening to where the sound comes from i would try to find out sooner rather than later as something might be causing electrical problems. Another common issue is a screw falls inside the power supply try removing it and shake it a bit to see if anything rattles inside.

Solution