New CyberPower Gaming Notebook Has Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'm curious about the size of the battery in these new Haswell laptops. Despite having similar hardware to the MB Air they still don't get the 12-hour battery life, why?

sigonellapc3

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
You still bottleneck with the inferior graphics, and then a 5400 rpm hdd?

Maybe a bargain at a flea market, if I'm paying flea market prices...

Next...

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
A long time ago Intel came out with its first "respectable" integrated graphics (complete with hardware T&L). Problem was there were no drivers. It took them more than two year to fully enable everything. course by then it was so outdated it was pointless. While I'm sure that things are a little better, the only worse than Intel's graphics are Intel's graphic drivers. They may finally make some decent hardware they're good at making chips but I'm not expecting much on the software side.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Am I the only one who laughs at axonometric photographs of laptops? You know, the whole shadow underneath the laptop, the portion photoshoppped out replaced with that shadow to make laptops look thinner? lol

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Companies aren't really focused on engineering aspects of a desire to innovate parts into each other, resign them for better airflow or to reduce size, etc. This is why Apple was able to make laptops as thin as they did till now that were relatively powerful (Macbook Pro). Most companies just take a bunch of components and try to throw em together, any redesigning will cost them money. So take companies like Lenovo where size isn't really of concern, and they stick together a bunch of components and thats it. Instead of redesigning everything to make it thinner, and then as a final step, add a bigger battery getting to the same size as they had before but achieving more battery, companies just chose the easiest route. At least this is my opinion...

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm curious about the size of the battery in these new Haswell laptops. Despite having similar hardware to the MB Air they still don't get the 12-hour battery life, why?

Read a German review (don't recall where, unfortunately), that put the general productivity battery life at around 4-5 hours with Battery Eater Pro. This laptop is based on the Clevo W740SU and has a 53WHr battery, which with 47W i7-4570HQ, 4 to 5 hours sounds about right.

But, keep in mind that this is a full-fledge mobile CPU, not a ULV like you'd find in the MacBook Air. The Air may be able to last 12 hours, but the 4570HQ gives a solid 2 to 3 times more performance and double the cores/threads (and that's compared to the highest spec'd options the Air has to offer right now).

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
A long time ago Intel came out with its first "respectable" integrated graphics (complete with hardware T&L). Problem was there were no drivers. It took them more than two year to fully enable everything. course by then it was so outdated it was pointless. While I'm sure that things are a little better, the only worse than Intel's graphics are Intel's graphic drivers. They may finally make some decent hardware they're good at making chips but I'm not expecting much on the software side.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
People bashing intel should really go read the Anandtech article on iris pro 5200. The fact iris pro beats out the a10 and is just around 1-3% behind the 650 definitely justifies its price point. Also its intel we are talking about usually games are unplayeble with their igu or have to be ran on low this is a huge improvement for intel and can run a crap ton of modern games on medium. Also if this thing gets better drivers who know it might beat the 750m.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
People bashing intel should really go read the Anandtech article on iris pro 5200. The fact iris pro beats out the a10 and is just around 1-3% behind the 650 definitely justifies its price point. Also its intel we are talking about usually games are unplayeble with their igu or have to be ran on low this is a huge improvement for intel and can run a crap ton of modern games on medium. Also if this thing gets better drivers who know it might beat the 750m.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Intel Iris 5200 definitely packs a bite and Broadwell will be even better. For light gaming it looks awesome from the benchmarks.
Wish Intel would concentrate on single core CPU performance improvements though, improvements have been greatly slowing down over the years.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Iris Pro 5200 is the first time I've ever looked at intel graphics, and thought they were decent. The Iris Pro was actually outperforming the A10, and competing between the GT640 and 650M, in Anandtech's benchmarks. Which is crazy good performance for an Intel APU.

Maybe it's Crystalwell? 128mb of eDRAM on package, is an almost excessive solution to address the APU bandwidth issue.... The Xbox One reportedly used 32mb of eDRAM since when used as a cache, diminishing returns kick in at 32mb. Intel's 128mb of eDRAM L4 cache would be, under that logic, built with a lot of future proofing in mind.

Anyway though, the current performance still falls under the category of "not good enough" for me personally, but maybe in a few years Intel APUs will be there. It'll be interesting to see if this effects pricing on lower end AMD and Nvidia discreet mobile GPUs, like the 650m.

Aug 15, 2013
So for $1k I can choose between this 14" laptop with an integrated GPU or the 13.3" Sager NP7330 with an i7 4700QM and GTX765M and both weigh just about 2 kg and have full had screens. That's not even a choice. Now take this laptop and give it an amd a10 5750m, price it at about $600-750 and it'd be a heck of a deal.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
My A10 laptop cost $505 and it plays Borderlands2, DC Universe Online, Skyrim and Arkham Asylum. Sure, resolution is not as good but mine cost HALF as much money!
HALF! Take that iris..

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

55288.png

thats 51% slower than the 640m at 900p, 1080p to match the screen specs will be even further behind. Drop the blue intel crack pipe. If both systems are $1000 (and they are) wich will you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS