New D&D Computer Game

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

Thanks
Brian

Brian wrote:

> Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
> saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
> tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
> allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

Temple of Elemental Evil, and I've also heard that it's very buggy, even
after the patches. Can't verify that though, but many people say it.
They could just be repeating what they are hearing, too, though.

Brian wrote:
> Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
> saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
> tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
> allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
the bargain bin very fast...
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
> > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when
> > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
> > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall
it
> > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
>

> Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
> has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
> the bargain bin very fast...

I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed and
tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped playing
(OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character creation).

I've just finished Gothic 2 and am working on Morrowind now ... getting
Sacred and Arx Fatalis ... not sure when I'll get back to it.

Mike

"Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> > Brian wrote:
> > > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day
when
> > > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules.
Anyone
> > > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do
recall
> it
> > > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
> >

> > Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
> > has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
> > the bargain bin very fast...
>
> I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed and
> tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
> manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped playing
> (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
creation).

I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
course....

I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
wouldn't have bothered buying it :(

It looks good, but was as buggy as hell on first release, a patch fixed some
of the problems but not all. Problems I (and others) had were monsters
spawning inside walls, when you rest, meant to be random encounters I think
but because the creatures spawn in the walls you cannot attack them, but
also cannot rest because there are 'creatures nearby..'. You can recruit
NPC's into your party yes, but you don't have much control of them outside
of combat, for instance they will loot corpses after a battle and swipe all
the loot. Sometimes they will nick so much that they become encumbered and
can't move at full speed, they should sell this by themselves but due to a
bug(?) don't always bother... and you can't access their inventory. You want
some good item of equipment they have? Time to pummel them till dead or out
cold. Some of the quests are also bugged IIRC.

I would suggest checking the official forums before buying; I gave up a
while ago, all these issues may have been fixed by now.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DE22428

Dave

"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> when
> Anyone
> recall
> > it
> > >

> > > Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
> > > has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
> > > the bargain bin very fast...
> >
> > I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed
and
> > tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
> > manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped
playing
> > (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
> creation).
> >

> I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
> fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
> course....
>
> I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
> wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
>
> It looks good, but was as buggy as hell

How do you know how buggy hell is?

"Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of

>"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
>> when
>> Anyone
>> recall
>> > it

>> > I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed
>and
>> > tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
>> > manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped
>playing
>> > (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
>> creation).
>> >

>> I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
>> fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
>> course....
>>
>> I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
>> wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
>>
>> It looks good, but was as buggy as hell
>
>How do you know how buggy hell is?

Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
good clue.

Xocyll

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

> >"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> when
> >> Anyone
> >> recall

Rumour

> >and
> >playing
> >> creation).
> >> >

> >> I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download
from
> >> fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion
of
> >> course....
> >>
> >> I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
> >> wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
> >>
> >> It looks good, but was as buggy as hell
> >
> >How do you know how buggy hell is?
>
> Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
> good clue.

Flies aren't bugs

I take it you have never been to New Jersey...

> How do you know how buggy hell is?

> I've just finished Gothic 2 and am working on Morrowind now ... getting
> Sacred and Arx Fatalis ... not sure when I'll get back to it.

Ive been playing sacred, and I regret buying it.
The world is very repetitious, and it is repeatedly crashing and
disconnecting.
The play is laggy. The realms are full of hacks and they are going to wipe
everything.
The classes arnt balanced. Battle mage is very very weak. Spells take ages
to regen to you spend half your time running around being chased while spel
is refreshing. (No mana pool)
In the event that I can play for a decent time, I get bored after about 30
mins.

After being out for about a month, its about beta-test condition now. Maybe
in a few patches it will be ok. See what people say on the forums.
Diablo2 is a far better game IMO.

nib wrote:

> Sloth wrote:
>

> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DE22428
> >

> Totally unrelated and just FYI, but have you ever used www.tinyurl.com?
> It is a shorter URL and doesn't have the ad page prior to going to the
> link. Your like above is:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yuluj

Tinyurl also doesn't let you see the url before sending you on to it. So
someone might send you to tubgirl or goat. For example.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

"Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of

>"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
>> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>

>> >"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

>day

>Rumour

>installed
>> >and
>the
>> >playing

>from
>of

>> >How do you know how buggy hell is?
>>
>> Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
>> good clue.
>
>Flies aren't bugs

Bug is a colloquial term for insect and a fly certainly is an insect.

The term "bug" for problems in software and hardware traces back to
finding actual insects.

See the Jargon Dictionary:

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/bug.html

Xocyll

David

This is Temple of Evil. It is based on 3.5 rules and it is the
closest game I have seen to paper D&D combat. The story is weak and
there are 2 Temple modules for NWN that follow the same story w/out
the same quests.

However, if you want to get a D&D experience, try this game

On 27-Apr-2004, "Brian" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote:

> Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
> saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
> tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall
> it
> allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

If it's Temple of Elemental Evil, then I chime in saying that this is a GOOD
game that properly emulates tabletop D&D. Out of the box it is pretty buggy,
but once you patch it, it does run and run well. It's turn-based combat and
strategic, not real-time and based on quick reflexes like NWN. The graphics
are pretty good, the spells work properly(such as independently targeting
Magic Missile and Fireballs the enemies don't get to run away from), and
overall it's a challenging but not overly difficult game, especially if you
know your D&D. Unfortunately, it's not a very deep game as it's based on a
very old module that was just a flimsy excuse for killing monsters and
stealing loot. It's also not a very long game, but has good replayability if
you want to try different class/race party combos. The henchmen have been
improved somewhat in the patch, but you still have to let them loot their
share if you want to keep them(though what they want differs). Finally, this
game was made with D&D players in mind. If you don't understand D&D 3.5, or
are new to D&D in general, expect a steep learning curve. It also boasts an
Ironman mode in which you only get to save when you quit(no quicksaving
mid-fight to avoid bad rolls).

> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

> >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
> >> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
> >> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

> >day

> >Rumour

> >installed
> >the

> >from
> >of

> >> Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
> >> good clue.
> >
> >Flies aren't bugs
>
> Bug is a colloquial term for insect and a fly certainly is an insect.
>
> The term "bug" for problems in software and hardware traces back to
> finding actual insects.
>
> See the Jargon Dictionary:
>
> http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/bug.html

Still doesn't mean they are in the genuis bug

John Salerno wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>

>> Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day
>> when I
>> saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
>> tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do
>> recall it
>> allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
>

> Temple of Elemental Evil, and I've also heard that it's very buggy, even
> after the patches. Can't verify that though, but many people say it.
> They could just be repeating what they are hearing, too, though.

I hacve the game and have installed the patches. It is still a 5 star
cockroach motel.

Kharsis