New DDR3 ram sticks won't respond to motherboard?

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
So I brought 2 new ddr3 sticks which my motherboard uses, but when I put them in, the power supply just has 1 constant beep, meaning that the ram sticks aren't working, is this a fault with the sticks or did I make a mistake with which sticks to buy?

Also, when I put my old ddr3 sticks back in, it works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzling

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I've never heard of RAM making a noise, tbh. Are you sure it's the RAM and not your fans?

I've found out it's the power pack that's making the sound. It's 850 watts and whenever I put the 2 new sticks in, it makes the sound. But if I put one of the old sticks in, it's fine, but it's only picking up that old stick.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Which exact motherboard and which exact RAM? Are you adding these 2 sticks to RAM you already had?

With the 6th gen Intel’s you were supposed to run DDR3L. The L meant low voltage.
The new sticks I have are DDR3/DDR3L, and no, I'm replacing the old sticks and putting in the new sticks.

The new sticks exactly are "8GB PC3L-12800 1600MHz DDR3/DDR3L 8192MB NON ECC UNBUFFERED CL11

The motherboard:
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire T3-710 (U3E1)
Version: V:1.1
Chipset Vendor: Intel
Chipset Model: Skylake
Chipset Revision: 07
Southbridge Vendor: Intel
Southbrideg Model: Skylake PCH
Southbridge Revision: 31

If the RAM is from a main brand they should have a compatibility checker on their website, see what it says. I am dubious of RAM claiming to be both DDR3 and DDR3L, I suspect it’s really DDR3 but I might be wrong.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
If the RAM is from a main brand they should have a compatibility checker on their website, see what it says. I am dubious of RAM claiming to be both DDR3 and DDR3L, I suspect it’s really DDR3 but I might be wrong.

They're from http://www.komputerbay.com and I don't see a compatibility check link. I've decided to refund these anyways now. If the product was actually true, such as actually being DDR3 then, then that would have been a lot helpful lol. Thank you for the help anyways.

So I brought 2 new ddr3 sticks which my motherboard uses, but when I put them in, the power supply just has 1 constant beep, meaning that the ram sticks aren't working, is this a fault with the sticks or did I make a mistake with which sticks to buy?

Also, when I put my old ddr3 sticks back in, it works fine.
Sounds like wrong modules. A lot of time 'new' ddr3 modules use designs that will not work in older systems--hence why I always buy used ddr3 as it's from the same 'era'.