New Dell Intermittent "pauses"

mark

New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute before
displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with old
Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something else if
it's a just a wild goose chase.

Could be NIS, but more likely the lack of a null IP set for the NIC. Are you
running broadband on WinXP PPPoE? If so, try the fixes indicated on these
pages:

http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/windowspppoe.php#4

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/718

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
before
> displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with old
> Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something else
if
> it's a just a wild goose chase.

mark

I have an Intel integrated Pro 10/100 Ethernet connection to a shared T1
line. IP address is already specified. About time I found out, so what is
PPPoE?

"lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Could be NIS, but more likely the lack of a null IP set for the NIC. Are
you
> running broadband on WinXP PPPoE? If so, try the fixes indicated on these
> pages:
>
> http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/windowspppoe.php#4
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/718
>
> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
> before
> > displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with
old
> > Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> > Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something
else
> if
> > it's a just a wild goose chase.

PPPoE - Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet....

Mr. Carrick explains it quite well - www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.php

But I still think the stalls and freezes you're experiencing are related to
the IP/NIC thingy. Or could be a firewall issue.

> I have an Intel integrated Pro 10/100 Ethernet connection to a shared T1
> line. IP address is already specified. About time I found out, so what
is
> PPPoE?
>
> "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Could be NIS, but more likely the lack of a null IP set for the NIC. Are
> you
> > running broadband on WinXP PPPoE? If so, try the fixes indicated on
these
> > pages:
> >
> > http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/windowspppoe.php#4
> >
> > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/718
> >
> > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
> > before
> > > displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with
> old
> > > Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> > > Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something
> else
> > if
> > > it's a just a wild goose chase.

How much memory installed?

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
before
> displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with old
> Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something else
if
> it's a just a wild goose chase.

mark

1 GB

"Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> How much memory installed?
>
> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
> before
> > displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with
old
> > Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> > Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something
else
> if
> > it's a just a wild goose chase.

"Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> How much memory installed?
>
> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
> before
> > displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with
old
> > Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> > Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something
else
> if
> > it's a just a wild goose chase.

Yep. Could be anything from your ISP network connection to security
software. There are a lot more security features built into your new OS and
browser that may not have been present in Win95 even with all the updates.

Stew

Just a couple of probes...
Are you using a router for your internet connectivity?
Any checkboxes checked in the LAN Settings of the Connections tab in
Internet Options?

> 1 GB
>

> "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > How much memory installed?
> >
> > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > New Dell 8300, XP home. Periodically pausing 30 seconds to a minute
> > before
> > > displaying internet pages or newsgroup messages. Never saw this with
> old
> > > Win95 machine on same connection. Just wondering if Norton Internet
> > > Security might be culprit. Kind of a pain to replace with something
> else
> > if
> > > it's a just a wild goose chase.

mark

Thanks. No router. "Automatically detect settings" is the only thing
checked under LAN Settings in the Internet Options Connections tab.

> Just a couple of probes...
> Are you using a router for your internet connectivity?
> Any checkboxes checked in the LAN Settings of the Connections tab in
> Internet Options?
>

> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > 1 GB
> >

> > "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > How much memory installed?
> > >
> > > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > before
> > old
> > else
> > > if

Uncheck that! Always causes me problems.
> Thanks. No router. "Automatically detect settings" is the only thing
> checked under LAN Settings in the Internet Options Connections tab.
>
> "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Just a couple of probes...
> > Are you using a router for your internet connectivity?
> > Any checkboxes checked in the LAN Settings of the Connections tab in
> > Internet Options?
> >

> > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > 1 GB
> > >

> > > "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> with
> > > old
Internet
> > > else

That was what I was looking for. Uncheck that one. Shouldn't be necessary
to reboot after changing that setting, but probably wouldn't hurt. I don't
trust that Microsoft always cleans everything out properly, so I always err
on the side of caution with Microsoft stuff. There is a chance that
clearing that setting could help with your problem. Please let the group
know if it helps.

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. No router. "Automatically detect settings" is the only thing
> checked under LAN Settings in the Internet Options Connections tab.
>
> "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Just a couple of probes...
> > Are you using a router for your internet connectivity?
> > Any checkboxes checked in the LAN Settings of the Connections tab in
> > Internet Options?
> >

> > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > 1 GB
> > >

> > > "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> with
> > > old
Internet
> > > else

mark

Thanks. Check mark cleared and rebooted so I'll see what happens. Right
after rebooting, email server failed to connect after starting IE the first
time then disconnected after restarting OE the second time which has never
happened before. Connected OK on 3rd try. Right now connection seems a lot
slower, but could just be a lot of traffic.

In rummaging around, I also noticed I also have "Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network" checked under Local Area Connection
Properties>Authentication tab with "Smart Card or other Certificate"
selected under "EAP type". Not exactly sure what that means, but doesn't
seem like this would apply to this machine. Any likelihood this could also
be related to problem?

> That was what I was looking for. Uncheck that one. Shouldn't be
necessary
> to reboot after changing that setting, but probably wouldn't hurt. I
don't
> trust that Microsoft always cleans everything out properly, so I always
err
> on the side of caution with Microsoft stuff. There is a chance that
> clearing that setting could help with your problem. Please let the group
> know if it helps.
>

> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. No router. "Automatically detect settings" is the only thing
> > checked under LAN Settings in the Internet Options Connections tab.
> >
> > "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Just a couple of probes...
> > > Are you using a router for your internet connectivity?
> > > Any checkboxes checked in the LAN Settings of the Connections tab in
> > > Internet Options?
> > >

> > > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message

> minute
> > with
> Internet
> something

Probably not, but uncheck that too. Fraught with problems.

Tom
> Thanks. Check mark cleared and rebooted so I'll see what happens. Right
> after rebooting, email server failed to connect after starting IE the
first
> time then disconnected after restarting OE the second time which has never
> happened before. Connected OK on 3rd try. Right now connection seems a
lot
> slower, but could just be a lot of traffic.
>
> In rummaging around, I also noticed I also have "Enable IEEE 802.1x
> authentication for this network" checked under Local Area Connection
> Properties>Authentication tab with "Smart Card or other Certificate"
> selected under "EAP type". Not exactly sure what that means, but doesn't
> seem like this would apply to this machine. Any likelihood this could
also
> be related to problem?
>
> "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > That was what I was looking for. Uncheck that one. Shouldn't be
> necessary
> > to reboot after changing that setting, but probably wouldn't hurt. I
> don't
> > trust that Microsoft always cleans everything out properly, so I always
> err
> > on the side of caution with Microsoft stuff. There is a chance that
> > clearing that setting could help with your problem. Please let the
group
> > know if it helps.
> >

> > "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks. No router. "Automatically detect settings" is the only thing
> > > checked under LAN Settings in the Internet Options Connections tab.
> > >
> > > "Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> > minute
> > > with
> > Internet
> > something

Definitely a good idea to disable networking components that you don't use.
However, I have that option checked in mine, I guess it must be a default
setting. This is a very odd problem, I really thought that last thing could
have solved it. Next step, maybe try completely uninstalling Norton as a
test? Did you try surfing with the new system before Norton was installed,
or did it come preinstalled? I would start to peel back the layers of the
onion...remove anything that could be affecting the IP stack. Reboot prior
to surfing again. Also, if this doesn't identify the problem, I would
probably suggest posting this on some of the Microsoft Windows newsgroups,
if you haven't already done so. I am usually pretty good with homegrown
problem solving, but there are probably some trained/certified Windows types
that troll those groups.